I need some opinions...Berklee audition

funkadelic musicman

• Members

I just found out that my audition for berklee is in just under a month, & I'm stressing a little bit about the prepared piece.

here are the guidlines for the prepared peice on the berklee website...

http://www.berklee.edu/wst/auditions/bass.html

I was originally planning on doing a standard jazz tune (autumn leaves, etc.), but they recently changed the guidelines & stated that you can play anything you want just as long as "you are comfortable with it....it displays your streangths as a musician, your instrumental proficiantcy and overall musicianship....and puts your best foot forward". They also say to choose a peice that you think the audition team DOES NOT want to hear.

Based on that I chose to play stanley clarke's "Lopsy Lu" because it was always one of those tunes I just love to play & am very comfortable with. & the style is right up my alley.

So now i'm having last minuite doughts that this is a peice that would impress the facuilty, because it is a pretty simple tune. and I keep reading this stuff on the net about people playing these ridiculous bebop solo's or jaco or wooten tunes for the audition.

am I making a mistake using "lopsy lu" as a prepared piece?

• Members

But is it simple, or just simple to you? It seems like there is a lot of wiggle room for improvisation in the piece (which the rules say is cool). I found a couple youtube vids of stanley clarke jamming over it, so that might give you some directional ideas.

I'd say if you really wanted to pick something they don't want to hear, you might look into playing some Les Claypool, but only if that fits your stylistic tastes.

good luck! :thu:

P.S. - My old boss is a berklee grad on guitar. If you want, I'd be happy to put you two in contact...

• Members

i don't know this tune. But if you are confortable with, and you think you can put in your audition the maximum intention and feeling, go for it.

I think thay perhaps get rid of all these Victo Pastooten they see all times. Be original, keep your first idea and play it with the heart.

• Members

LOVE the bassline in Lopsy Lu; I pull that out occasionally just to fiddle around with, and it's great. I don't think it's that bad of a tune, especially since the new rules state to show your strengths. If you're really comfortable with playing it, the groove on that song should be really tight, which the faculty will see. You want to show them a tune that you have really nailed, not one that you're still working on.

Give it a shot.

• Members

what i've heard from berklee grads and folks who got in and didnt manage to graduate is this...

the way the school makes cash is letting in almost anyone..but only letting the very good graduate, so as to keep the reputation..

if you don't screw up the audition, and are at all competent, you are probably set

• Members

LOVE the bassline in Lopsy Lu; I pull that out occasionally just to fiddle around with, and it's great. I don't think it's that bad of a tune, especially since the new rules state to show your strengths. If you're really comfortable with playing it, the groove on that song should be really tight, which the faculty will see. You want to show them a tune that you have really nailed, not one that you're still working on.

Give it a shot.

Exactly.

Nailing a tune you know inside in out is better than doing kinda well on a harder tune you just learned. Do it, and do it well! :thu:

• Members

what i've heard from berklee grads and folks who got in and didnt manage to graduate is this...

the way the school makes cash is letting in almost anyone..but only letting the very good graduate, so as to keep the reputation..

if you don't screw up the audition, and are at all competent, you are probably set

Eh. I've met a bunch of Berklee alums. They're all decent at the instruments. I only know one performance major (he's there now). Dude's a nasty guitarist (went to Berklee after getting his BA). The ones out of Berklee who I know are all involved in the music industry, but most of 'em are doing things like management and recording. The performance major is cool, but it's a lot harder to get a job out of it.

I have heard they've been more selective as of late. I still doubt going there for performance is the best way to learn the instrument, though.

• Members

yes, this is true. i accompanied my roommate when he auditioned and it seemed very easy. he is a drummer and knows literally nothing about music theory and was invited to attend.

Archived