My Homemade Fretless Bass - picture help?

fallstar208

• Members

I just finished a fretless bass I've been building on and off for years now. I kept moving, forgetting about it, etc... Well, I finished it today, but I can't figure out how to properly post a picture. I've got it up on flickr and webshot accounts. How do I get it to show up like a normal sized picture on here?

• Members

4 years ago I decided I wanted a fretless, looked at a warwick and didn't really love it. I came home, bought the neck from carvin, and started tracing my Lakland 5 string for the body. I made a few changes, threw the hook on the upper bout. I originally was gonna use some walnut but I found a good piece of zebrawood, so I used that.

as for the headstock, I originally had another idea - kinda like a gibson but with a point in the middle. instead I just grabbed a jigsaw and did this little wave on a whim. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. I'm starting to wish I put a tone knob on there - it's just volume and pan - but I might just get a preamp and be done with it.

Next one, if there is a next one, I want to make my own neck. Multiple laminates, etc... It helps that my dad has a big woodshop to build in.

• Members

that's really cool.. how much did it cost you for the wood and stuff? i'm interested in making my own bass one day..

the wood was pretty cheap. I bought the neck already made, which was under $200 4 years ago. I think they're a little more than that now. There's a thin maple core on the body sides that was maybe $10, and the zebrawod front and back all came from one board which was a hair under $50, if i recall correctly.

Building your own sounds like a good idea, but I found it's a ridiculous amount of work. hands cramping from sanding, broken router bits, etc... As long as you have the right tools - router and drill press, mainly - it's definitely within your grasp. You get your own design and hardware for a lot less than a comparable bass, as long as you're willing to put in the work and have a lot of patience. That having been said, I absolutely love it so far

• Members

2272112800069029613S500x500Q85.jpg

And here's the back with either the heartwood or sapwood (damned if I know...) of the zebrawood turning light there. Just a note to anyone thinking about working with zebrawood - it's pretty dense and a pain to work with a router. My dad was helping me out with this because he's the experienced woodoworker in the family, and after doing the control cavity he didn't even want to look at the thing for a week. Plus this thing is ridiculously heavy, and still neck dives a little, but I can live with that;)

• Members

It must be very satisfying to build your own instrument. I flat out don't have the skill or patience. How do you like it? Are you primarily a fretless guy?

Very satisfying. I'm having a hard time putting it down, but I figured I'd parade it around the forum like a proud parent.

I have very little skill and slightly less patient, but I had a good teacher and used it as a learning experience. It's my first electric fretless, too, so that's a learning experience on top of it all. It'll take some practice before I feel comfortable recording something, but the sound is pretty good too - sustains for days...

• Members

and i'd probably do what you did and order a neck.. i love my carvin neck so i'd probably get it from them, too

I snaded down the carvin neck and changed the profile a little bit, but it's a very nice neck. It looks like I need to file the nut a little bit, but overall it plays real well. I tweaked the truss rod a little bit, got the action and intonation as good as I could get it. Really plays well - much better than I thought it would for my first try. I'd recommend the carvin neck, definitely, though.

• Members

KICKASS. the bass is smokin... the concept of it all meshes beautifully together. i totally dig it.. I would grab it off a rack to play/buy it!!!!

So whats going to go on the head stock? your name? blank? what haved you named this beast... Zebraless? hehehe :D

:thu: awsome job man.!!!! maybe u got a nack for it and u could start taking orders...

Archived