Need help with my tone. Recording in two days

Mooska

• Members

So I'm trying to get the perfect tone for recording this weekend. I am using a SVT4 Head with SVT 8x10. The tone for me is this. You can hear the tone I want within the 1st 30 seconds. Please give me some opinions. I guess I should also let you know I'm playing a warwick corvette with double bucks. Active/passive pick-ups. Any help would be appreciated SO MUCH. Thanks

• Members

Dunno. Sounds like a pretty classic "scooped mids" hard rock tone to me. The trick is to bump up the bass and treble a little and turn down the low-mids and high-mids quite a bit. The EQ ends up looking a bit like a "smiley face."

The other trick is to really drive the power-stage hard. However, your SVT-4 has a solid-state power section IIRC. In that case, you'll probably want to turn up the preamp stage to the point where the tubes are barely clipping. That might add a bit of grit to the sound. Not as good as a head with a tube power stage, but you can get close.

As for the bass, you'll want to run the bridge pickup solo or maybe blend in a tiny amount of neck pickup. I'm not familiar with the twin-humbucker Corvette. You'll need to play around a bit. Keep the tone control all the way up. Besides that, string the bass up with some stainless steel roundwounds (DR Lo-Riders would probably work well) and try playing with a pick.

It shouldn't take too long to get you there.

• Members

I wouldn't worry about getting a good tone now. Go direct and EQ it during the mix. If you want to have more options, you can mic your cab as well and blend the two together to taste.

If you're going to a pro studio with an engineer, I can pretty much guarantee you this is the way it's going to be done...

I don't think that is a scooped mids sound. If anything, the mids are boosted a little. It sounds similar to my tone and my low & high mids are boosted. Everything else is flat. Using a pick will help get that cut through the mix as well. If you actually want to be heard...don't cut the mids. You will be lost in a sea of guitar if you do...

• Members

I wouldn't worry about getting a good tone now. Go direct and EQ it during the mix. If you want to have more options, you can mic your cab as well and blend the two together to taste.

If you're going to a pro studio with an engineer, I can pretty much guarantee you this is the way it's going to be done...

I don't think that is a scooped mids sound. If anything, the mids are boosted a little. It sounds similar to my tone and my low & high mids are boosted. Everything else is flat. Using a pick will help get that cut through the mix as well. If you actually want to be heard...don't cut the mids. You will be lost in a sea of guitar if you do...

+1 on all counts.

Archived