Bass trem

wilko_2409

• Members

I coulda sworn I saw a Steinie bass with a wang bar of some sort attached to its bridge, but I could be mis remembering. It had the little adjuster for d-tuning and such also.

yeah, it looks like a whammy bar, but you dont really do divebombs and {censored} with it, you just use it to lock the bridge into another position. you can kind of waglle it back and forth a bit to get a trem effect for sure though, but it;s main purpose is tranposing.

• Members

Maybe Gibson will make a "Robot Bass" after the wild success and universal praise and love of the "Robot Guitar".

:freak:

I had an idea today about a bass with EQ presets. Kinda like that Line6 bass but instead of bass models, you like set an EQ press a button and it saves it and there's like 4 buttons that you could press and it would go back to a specific preset. Maybe mechanical in the pots or something or all computerized and high-tech, could be interesting.

• Members

yeah, it looks like a whammy bar, but you dont really do divebombs and {censored} with it, you just use it to lock the bridge into another position. you can kind of waglle it back and forth a bit to get a trem effect for sure though, but it;s main purpose is tranposing.

There was a Transtrem for bass. It's an actual whammy bar, not a transposing system. You can indeed divebomb with it and yes, lock it in different positions, just like the guitar version. Very difficult to find.

688147.JPG

The device similar to a hipshot X-tuner was called the BD system, you find it on Steinie BD bridges and also on some licensed models produced by Hohner, like the one on my Zipper.

steinie.jpg

• Moderators

i had two basses with kahlers and i bet that hipshot is a better solution.

i always was looking to try one out.

I have no doubt that Kahlers can be temperamental. BroM's Peavey wasn't always cooperative with the Kahler, but now that it's on the short scale Ibby, it is rock solid in performance. I'm almost growing to like it. :idk:

• Members

There was a Transtrem for bass. It's an actual whammy bar, not a transposing system. You can indeed divebomb with it and yes, lock it in different positions, just like the guitar version. Very difficult to find.

688147.JPG
The device similar to a hipshot X-tuner was called the BD system, you find it on Steinie BD bridges and also on some licensed models produced by Hohner, like the one on my Zipper.

steinie.jpg

i've played a bass with the trans trem and there is almost no wiggle room in it. from what i could telly, it basically is just for transposing.

it certainly wasnt like a kahler.

• Members

I have no doubt that Kahlers can be temperamental. BroM's Peavey wasn't always cooperative with the Kahler, but now that it's on the short scale Ibby, it is rock solid in performance. I'm almost growing to like it.
:idk:

The Peavey had problems. The neck needed to be replaced.

Also, I think that the maintenence & set-up class helped a lot. By the time the Kahler went to the Mango bass, Kindness & I had a better sense of diagnosing problems--without also dealing with a problematic neck.

First, the neck on the Mango bass had to be shimmed. Then we had to deal with string tension. Knuckle_head helped us with that.

On the Peavey, I had no idea what to do other than tune the bass. Now I see that the bass' set-up is truly vital with a whammy bar. Not much room for "good enough."

Archived