Noob Rickenbacker question.....

Rootdogg

• Members

The pickups are different, but I think the pickup design varied over time anyway. They sound pretty much the same - I suspect there's about as much tone variation between 4001s and 4003s on average as there is among different model years (or even individual basses) of 4001s (but I can't say I've tried enough of them to really have any proof).

• Members

Not exactly. Ric went to the high gains several years before the 4003 came out. My 77 4001 has high gains.

Cool, I didn't know that, though I was pretty sure there were various changes in the pickups over the years. For example, the old horseshoe bridge pickup, which I think went away much earlier.

• Members

Lug - How do you discern whether or not these "high gain" pups are in the bass I am looking at?

There are toasters (two slots that look like a toaster viewed from the top), High Gains (black with black poll pieces) and the old Horseshoes (magnet really wrapped around the strings at the bridge pup, not the fake cover that came later). The real horseshoe had a slit in the middle of the cover, the fake (high gain with platic cover) does not.

• Members

There are toasters (two slots that look like a toaster viewed from the top), High Gains (black with black poll pieces) and the old Horseshoes (magnet really wrapped around the strings at the bridge pup, not the fake cover that came later). The real horseshoe had a slit in the middle of the cover, the fake (high gain with platic cover) does not.

So the advantage of the high gain pick-ups is the ability to suck at a much higher volume or more clarity to the suck? :confused:

• Members

Which Ric did I own?

It had the Horseshoe bridge pickup, and a toaster top looking chrome job on the front. It was fireglow with the sharkfin inlays. Rosewood board, with finish on it. It was not stereo. Suspect it was made late 80s to early 90s.

Best playing bass ever. Loved playing it but sound was kinda a one trick pony. Lots of cut, not much deep bottom going on. It worked great for rock, not so much for country, roots rock, or folky stuff, too trebly.

Anyways, I never knew the model,

can anyone guess?

I might pick up another one someday.

• Members

450toasters.jpeg
Toasters

bridge.jpg
Horseshoe and toaster

4003b.jpg
High gain and high gain with fake toaster top

Ahhh ha! Very helpful. So the high gains have the exposed poles. Check. Good, this is probably the pickup I would prefer. Good info for when I start shopping.

Archived