Audition help

B-Bottom

• Members

The local theme park is auditioning musicians for the summer months and I am thinking about giving it a shot. I have never had a real audition before. Here is the criteria

Musicians should be prepared with major/minor scales, an etude, two solo selections of contrasting styles, and improvisation.

The audition is on the 16th so I have to get cracking. Any suggestions?

• Members

oh and I spoke to the one woman who holds the auditions. She said that I would need to do an improve with a keyboardist. I have no problem jamming. But I have only ever played with one keyboardist in my life. So i am far from comfortable with that. Any suggestions for playing with one?

• Members

+1 on doing some popular music basslines. I played the Allman Brother's "Blue Sky" and Bach's First Cello Prelude for my two pieces when I auditioned for Cedar Point years back. The main thing they want to know is how your time keeping ability is, how well you groove/hold down that low end, etc.. Having two contrasting pieces also shows them that you can hang in different environments, and may land you a spot in a show they had a hard time finding someone for.

If you can grab a Jamey Aebersold book to play along with for improvisation, I'd say do it. It'll have a CD with piano parts on it so you can get up to speed.

Just some other things to consider: how well can you read music and memorize it? Can you play it note-for-note six times a day, six days a week? Can you play to a click-track? These are all things that were commonplace at Cedar Point for musicians; it may be different for the park you're auditioning at.

Archived