How good as bass are you?

justinbass

• Members

I've only been practicing seriously for about a year, so I would compare my current expierience as a bass player to my expierince when I was 14 just starting to figure out sex. I thought I knew what I was doing but in retrospect I was pretty crappy. Every day I find my fingers hitting a new combonation on the fretboard or in the strings that just seems to remind me that as much as I thought I knew yesterday, there obviously is much more to this.

Still haven't found the elusive "G" spot on the bass. Is that just a myth too?:love:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my best fit.

I've come a long way since I started, and I have a long way to go, but I'm at a point where I'm not embarrassed to play in front of people, and can hold my own in most of the musical situations I'm confronted with.

exactly where I'm at.

• Members

I put I'm really good, but it's between that and the one underneath, depending on the setting.

At church or in a praise band setting, I could fill in or plug and play with anyone, anywhere. We actually re-arrange some modern/Hillsong type stuff to spruce it up a little bit, as sadly SO much of that doesn't have a lot of musical dedication to it, in the form of writing.

I can cover most any song of any genre given enough practice time just abouts.

And I think I do some tasty writing for the bands I've played with before and do now, as bass has had a prominent part of the music, as I've been a founding member so I don't have to take backseats to anyone.

Only weakness is complex jazz/walking stuff, as I've never played it, and I can't read music anymore. Other than that, I'm pretty solid and can throw down with most people who aren't pro's.

• Members

I chose "really good" from the available options.

"competent" with gusts up to "pretty impressive" might be more accurate. Been playing music for 30+ years, as a living for +/-10, now as a weekend warrior.

I'll never be truly awesome but I can cover any style and learn fast. I look for the deep pocket. I'm reliable, professional and put on an ok show, so that keeps me working.

• Members

I put I'm really good, but it's between that and the one underneath, depending on the setting.

At church or in a praise band setting, I could fill in or plug and play with anyone, anywhere. We actually re-arrange some modern/Hillsong type stuff to spruce it up a little bit, as sadly SO much of that doesn't have a lot of musical dedication to it, in the form of writing.

I can cover most any song of any genre given enough practice time just abouts.

And I think I do some tasty writing for the bands I've played with before and do now, as bass has had a prominent part of the music, as I've been a founding member so I don't have to take backseats to anyone.

Only weakness is complex jazz/walking stuff, as I've never played it, and I can't read music anymore. Other than that, I'm pretty solid and can throw down with most people who aren't pro's.

I'm good enough to play Bass for God. I'm mainly a guitar player but I was called to a higher calling at the Church......I play with musician's that are better than me therefore I am always being stretched and have to practice and work harder than everyone else. Our drummer says I'm solid and always in the pocket and that I have great tone........I believe we work together well.

OMB

• Moderators

I'm good enough to play Bass for God
. I'm mainly a guitar player but I was called to a higher calling at the Church......I play with musician's that are better than me therefore I am always being stretched and have to practice and work harder than everyone else. Our drummer says I'm solid and always in the pocket and that I have great tone........I believe we work together well.

OMB

:confused:

God is a bass player.

• Members
I chose "really good" from the available options.

"competent" with gusts up to "pretty impressive" might be more accurate. Been playing music for 30+ years, as a living for +/-10, now as a weekend warrior.

I'll never be truly awesome but I can cover any style and learn fast. I look for the deep pocket. I'm reliable, professional and put on an ok show, so that keeps me working.

That just went into my sig!!!

• Members

Well considering I am about 2 years into playing bass... I chose not embarrassed to play at GC though because, I looked like a fool playing bass there the last time I went (1 & 1/2 yrs ago) :lol:

I guess I'm doing alright though... working on my demo with my third band now. :D

Archived