Right bass, wrong color...buy it?

LadyM

• Members

FWIW. I found (at a GC none the less) a MM Stingray for $600. Didn't get it partially becuase I had 550 in my account, but also becuase it was a off purple pinkish color. I now regret this everytime I think about it. Hell even if I didn't like it, I could have somebody refinish it and turn it around for a slight profit.

• Members

Okay, okay, relax Isaac. Jesus, no Merlot.

lol... I didn't have time to write earlier about what Isaac said when this popped up, but I thought the same thing... would ya drink it tho?... no, I totally get it Isaac... there are some things I would not be caught dead with either... the reaction was so strong, it was so funny... I though, WOW man, tell me how ya really feel about it brother! Same way... when my mind is set about something, it's hard to sway me;).

• Members

What bass are you talking about and what is the cost difference?

http://www.fretstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1118

It's this Luna. This should show a pic of the merlot color. The merlot was the end of last year's inventory. Discount for that. Slight price increase for new year as well to order black. Price diff of about $50. So, not omg Earthshattering, but trying to keep cost down. $300ish Merlot, $350ish black. This is my first bass. The $300ish is a jump from the $180 Yamaha I looked at GC. Back another visit, and found an Ibanez regular $300-$350, clearance $200. Both of those black. Of course what I truly fell in love with were the Music Man basses. There was only one MM on sale last visit GC. Bongo, and yes, black it was. MM dual humbuckers... such a beautiful sound. I can't get it out of my head. I know some of you hate how Bongos look... but never have read anyone hating their sound. Different trip, tried on a MM Stingray, and Sterling for comparison. Actually, the Sterling was more petite to my smaller frame. Felt a bit better. All of the MM huge price diff obviously. In reality, a justifiable $ bass to work towards as skills progress. Part of the draw to the Luna in general is the weight. Have some back issues. Luna toutes the founding of the line for ladies specifically... basses desiged lighter, more petite neck, etc. The Luna felt much better wearing vs a Thunderbird say... much bulkier, and heavier on my frame. O... what to do about the merlot, hmmm.

• Moderators

http://www.fretstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1118

It's this Luna. This should show a pic of the merlot color. The merlot was the end of last year's inventory. Discount for that. Slight price increase for new year as well to order black. Price diff of about $50. So, not omg Earthshattering, but trying to keep cost down. $300ish Merlot, $350ish black. This is my first bass. The $300ish is a jump from the $180 Yamaha I looked at GC. Back another visit, and found an Ibanez regular $300-$350, clearance $200. Both of those black. Of course what I truly fell in love with were the Music Man basses. There was only one MM on sale last visit GC. Bongo, and yes, black it was. MM dual humbuckers... such a beautiful sound. I can't get it out of my head. I know some of you hate how Bongos look... but never have read anyone hating their sound. Different trip, tried on a MM Stingray, and Sterling for comparison. Actually, the Sterling was more petite to my smaller frame. Felt a bit better. All of the MM huge price diff obviously. In reality, a justifiable $ bass to work towards as skills progress. Part of the draw to the Luna in general is the weight. Have some back issues. Luna toutes the founding of the line for ladies specifically... basses desiged lighter, more petite neck, etc. The Luna felt much better wearing vs a Thunderbird say... much bulkier, and heavier on my frame. O... what to do about the merlot, hmmm.

I don't think I'd drink a Merlot that was that color!

• Members

That's not Merlot, that's {censored}ing Pink!

That said, I like the pink one more than the black one.

Yes... it does look pink in the pic, but not in real life... it's a deeper color... kinda nice with the waves of coloring in person... I know this might sound odd coming from a chick, but I would not want a truly pink colored bass... they make the black version with an inlay as well... I like the Phoenix in that.

• Moderators

That's not Merlot, that's {censored}ing Pink!

That said, I like the pink one more than the black one.

I was kinda hoping for a transparent black, myself.

It hardly seems fair, charging extra for black, when they're probably just painting the ones that don't have as nice grain.

• Members

It sounds like you'll be happier i you spend the $50 more and get the black.

I've never heard of Luna. Have you played one yet?

Yes, I played one at a local store... we have GC next town over from Mayberry... no Luna there. I have never heard of them either. Think they are a spin off of Dean??? I posted a Luna link before, and didn't really get anyone who commented on what they are. Wish I had some more first hand experience of someone who knew what they were. There is one review on this web site about a diff Luna bass. Think it was the Pandora. The Ibanez that was black at GC (if it's still there) for more of the $200 right budget price had a couple similar features. The neck seemed more petite. Not as heavy as some (Luna still lighter for sure tho). Dual humbuckers on Ibanez... which I did fall in love with that sound on a MM Bongo I tried for just comparison sake... yeah, big diff! So, the Luna does not have the dual humbuckers... split pick up. But, still sounded ok. Nice low action... which I know can be adjusted on any bass as well. I had some good suggestion for some similiar basses used. But, I think for my first bass, I need to have the security of the traditional music store return policy.

Archived