Right bass, wrong color...buy it?

LadyM

• Members

I know instrument looks are suppose to be low on the list of priorities when buying, vs sound obviously. I have a bass that I'm thinking about buying that is less money, but not my first color choice. It's red/merlot. My first pick would be black. Black is available thru order, but more $. Since both sound the same, in ways it seems foolish to spend $ for the looks. This might sound trivial, but I like the idea of black for future stage appeal. It's neutral, clean looking, and mixes with anything. Color is limiting. In ways, the color definately would get more comments. The merlot is not gawdy, nice. Just a different appeal. Thoughts?

• Members

For me it depends on price point.

If it is $1000 or more, then I get exactly what I want. Less than $1000, I go for the deal because I'll take less of a hit if I decide to flip it.

That price point will vary from person to person, but if you're spending a bunch of money, get what you want.

• Members

When I quite recently bought my G&L L2500, I really wasn't looking for a sunburst one, as I really didn't like it. After some consideration, I decided to get it anyway. I've seen some more pics of sunburst basses since then, and I am confident that I will like it now. The colour just grows on me, really.

It was the same way with my L2000 as well.

• Members

When I quite recently bought my G&L L2500, I really wasn't looking for a sunburst one, as I really didn't like it. After some consideration, I decided to get it anyway. I've seen some more pics of sunburst basses since then, and I am confident that I will like it now. The colour just grows on me, really.

It was the same way with my L2000 as well.

Dude, totally unrelated but I just listened to your myspace for the first time, you guys rock! Awsome stuff.

• Members

Not sure, if you really want the black one I'd say wait and grab it. That said, it really does depend how much price difference we're talking.

I've bought too many basses on whims and been disappointed later on, so I try and stop and really think about purchases now, unless it's a killer deal I can't pass up :D

• Moderators

I know instrument looks are suppose to be low on the list of priorities when buying, vs sound obviously. I have a bass that I'm thinking about buying that is less money, but not my first color choice. It's red/merlot. My first pick would be black. Black is available thru order, but more $. Since both sound the same, in ways it seems foolish to spend $ for the looks. This might sound trivial, but I like the idea of black for future stage appeal. It's neutral, clean looking, and mixes with anything. Color is limiting. In ways, the color definately would get more comments. The merlot is not gawdy, nice. Just a different appeal. Thoughts?

I ain't playing no {censored}ing merlot!

• Members

Dude, totally unrelated but I just listened to your myspace for the first time, you guys rock! Awsome stuff.

Thanks! :thu:

We're heading for the studio next weekend to record an EP, which I'll be offering as a free download to you guys here when it is finished. I'm really looking forward to it!

• Members

You're a lady, so I would say the bass needs to match your purse and your shoes.

I'll shut up now and go sit over here....

omg.. lol... okaaay, you got me:o... Yea, the chick mindset of how things look in the matching department did indeed cross my mind, I confess. I'm a natural red head. When you already have color on your person so to speak to work with, it effects what you will add to the picture. Some reds with the hair look good. Some do not. I think too much color going on is distracting. I guess part of that goes back to my orchestra days when I played viola. Acceptable playing attire for performances was black or white. I was always happy about that because of the hair. Personal flattering combination. Black just is something that is universally sexy as a color IMO. O.. yea, it does looks good with any purse or shoes too .:p:p:p.

Archived