Upright players - need a recommendation

bassmom98

• Members

Hi,

My 9 year old wants to learn upright bass. He's been playing electric bass for four years now, so he does have training. (I do know that upright is nothing like electric, though.)

Anyway, his bass teacher told him he should check out the 3/4 first. We did, and I thought it was going to fall on him. :) So, we checked out the 1/2 and it was a much better fit.

My question is, I want to get the 1/2, but not spend a whole lot on it. I'm thinking we'll have it for a few years and then move to the 3/4. I checked out the rental options, but it costs the same amount to rent a 1/2 for six months as it does to buy one.

So, what do you think of this one: http://www.music123.com/Bellafina-Model-50-1-2-Size-Upright-Bass-Outfit-470251-i1322961.Music123

If this one's no good, do you have another brand to recommend? I don't really want to spend more than $650 - $700 on it. Used is totally ok, too.

Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

The double bass section on talkbass has a lot more information on this topic:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

That said, I have not heard of the brand shown and I would never purchase a double bass from a store. I would find a local luthier and work with him/her to find an appropriate instrument.

I could point you in the right direction if I knew where you live.

• Members

i have a 9 year old student.

depending on the childs height, you might acutally want to try a 1/4 with the end pin out. the Nut of the bass (the place where the strings cross into the peg box) should be just above his/her eyebrows. my 9 yo needs a 1/4 size...

i send all my students to lemur music

• Members

catphish, that's a great list! The luthier you listed is actually in my in-law's town.

Bassius, I'm curious, how is the 9 yo doing? My son's teacher expressed concern about proper technique. My son's a bit sloppy in the technique department on the electric. :)

Archived