ot: the words that are fun to say thread.

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few words that are overused now that were almost non-existent a few years ago:

Exacerbate. Listen to NPR and it's used almost all the time now. Yes, the 12 year old in me giggles a little inside when I hear it.

Also, when did "nanny" become "au-pair"?

Another thing is "literally". You talk to people and they say something like "my head literally exploded". Really dude? You're head combusted and exploded outward raining skull and brain matter over an area? That must have stung a bit....

• Members

Also, when did "
nanny
" become "
au-pair
"?

Two different jobs. An Au-pair is a gal (usually from a different country) who watches your kids in exchange for free rent and food. Sometimes you might give her a bit of an allowance.

A nanny is a lady who comes to your place and you pay her to watch your kids. She may rent a room from you and live there as well, but she would pay rent for the room. Small difference but there it is.

• Members

Another thing is "
literally
". You talk to people and they say something like "my head literally exploded". Really dude? You're head combusted and exploded outward raining skull and brain matter over an area? That must have stung a bit....

OMG that {censored}ing drives me CRAZY. Absolutely, ridiculously, through a {censored}ing roof.

Archived