What's your rack type of choice???

georgestrings

• Members

...and why - SKB/Gator type, or Road Ready/Anvil type??? The reason I ask, is that I'm planning on putting a 2 slot amp and a 2 slot wireless receiver in a 4 slot case, and am trying to make up my mind which way to go...

I don't do any touring to speak of - and 95% of my gigs are within an hour's drive(most are much less) - I also average somewhere between 75-125 gigs per year - if those qualifiers make any difference...

- georgestrings

• Members

I definately prefer that normal ATA types over the molded ones. That said they each have good & bad points.

The molded ones are generally lighter and are more comfortable to carry and move around (no pointy edges and corners). They don't, however, handle heavy loads well at all - they end up twisting and distorting. They also don't give quite as much protection. These two things probably don't make a huge difference to your particular application. One other little thing is that, while both types come in high quality and piece-o-trash versions, the molded cases more often have cheapie hardware, crappy rails, etc.

The "Anvil" types are better for heavier loads and serious protection. They are definately more "professional". They will last longer and hold their resale value better if that makes a difference. But they (at least the good ones) are usually quite a bit heavier and a lot more expensive.

For what you describe, either way would probably be fine.

• Members

I definately prefer that normal ATA types over the molded ones. That said they each have good & bad points.

The molded ones are generally lighter and are more comfortable to carry and move around (no pointy edges and corners). They don't, however, handle heavy loads well at all - they end up twisting and distorting. They also don't give quite as much protection. These two things probably don't make a huge difference to your particular application. One other little thing is that, while both types come in high quality and piece-o-trash versions, the molded cases more often have cheapie hardware, crappy rails, etc.

The "Anvil" types are better for heavier loads and serious protection. They are definately more "professional". They will last longer and hold their resale value better if that makes a difference. But they (at least the good ones) are usually quite a bit heavier and a lot more expensive.

For what you describe, either way would probably be fine.

i had a mesa 400+ in a gator plastic rack for a long time, with no twisting or distortion...

• Members

Gator rolling rack all the way. I used to have a huge poweramp, big preamp, wireless and tuner in a six place Gator rack and never had one problem with it. They are light weight and do a great job unless you toss your stuff around like an airport baggage handler. I have no worries at all with my gator rack. Now the rolling version just kicks booty, put it down and extend the handle and pull it around like a rolling suitcase. It's simplest and easiest rack I've ever seen. They also make a rolling rack with a power strip built in. :cool:

• Members

i have a grundorf mighty light myself. i don't know how much protection it would offer to my mounted gear in the event of a drop, but it's super light and keeps my {censored} together.

of course i don't make a habit of dropping my rack so i think i'll be fine
:p

+1 for the Mighty Light.

• Members

get the MF house brand, they're usually less than half the price of anvil, and i've beat the crap out of three different ones with only one small problem (i stripped the screws in my 6-space rails)

If you check out their user reviews, there have been complaints of the currently produced ones being a bit flimsy - thanks for your input, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

I like the Road Ready ones, they look cooler
:D

I don't really see it that way, but everyone's taste is different... Seems to me that the plastic types will be a bit lighter, but bulkier - and that the Road Ready types will weigh a bit more, but last longer, and take up a bit more space... I'd also guess that it'd be easier to gouge up a cab covering with a Road Ready type, but I'm sure I can keep an eye on that...

- georgestrings

Archived