Hughes & Kettner or Hartke?

sudrabs

• Members

I'm replacing my Behringer BX300 30W combo. Now I have two offers: new Hughes & Kettner BK200 200W 1x15" and used Hartke VX3500 350W 4x10". Both come roughly for the same price. I'm also considering an Ampeg BA series, Hartke Kickback and A series. Unfortunately there's no chance to play that H&K and Ampegs, so I can't decide. I need a combo for home practice and rehearsal with band. I definately prefer quality over volume, so it seems H&K probably will suite me better. Your opinion please, which one should I choose? :confused:

• Members

We can not choose for you. You have to go with what you think is best for you.

You really need to listen to all options. Pick from what options you have. If you can't listen to all the amps you listed.. then they are not an option in my opinion.

As far as the amps you listed, they all should do the job. Not much love around here for Hartke, I do like them, most don't.

• Members

I'm playing different styles (mostly rock) and I like different sounds of bass, especially metallic one. Right now i'm involved in a christian (soft rock) band, but I have a project similar to Slade or Rooney in mind. My current bass is Epiphone Tunderbird, but probably I'll buy Fender or even Rickenbacker next year.

In our country a lot of popular brands can only be ordered, so I can't play them in store. From those I mentioned I've played only Ampeg, but 60W one and H&K Quantum combo, but that's in a different league. Ampegs here are overpriced and Hartke gets conflicting reviews, so it seems I should go with H&K? And could H&K BK series be somehow better than Ampeg BA series? I've heard a lot of stories about Ampeg's hissing tweeter...

Archived