Amp, New cab?? Ohm?? Help!!

Jopey101

• Members

I Have an Swr WorkingMan 2x10 Bass combo amp, the thing has done its job for now but i think the 2x10's just arnt doing the job.

the manuel for the SWR combo says:

260 watts @ 8 ohms (internal cabinet)

400 watts @ 4 ohms (with 8 ohm extension speaker)

(Minimum Impedance = 4 ohms)

im really looking into buying this,

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR118

specs on that : Imp: 4 ohms, power handling: 800 Watts

its a 1x18 cab, and what i want to do is remove the head from the swr and just use this cab. is that possible?

i feel like ill blow something up if i do this wrong haha, any help would be awesome

thanks!

• Members

I'm not too familiar with that amp to say it's possible, but it looks like it could be possible in pics.

As far as running the 18 with that amp...I wouldn't. If you only run the 18, the amp will run at 4 ohms. At full power, it'll only be pushing half of what that cab can take.

Why an 18? Why not a 15? Or another 2X10? Why aren't the current speakers not doing the job?

• Members

the current speakers dont give me the low end that i want, I guess I really don't know too much about the whole cab thing, what I really should have asked was, "the speakers in the cab arnt doing a job, whats a good cab with a lot of low end" haha

• Members

I Have an Swr WorkingMan 2x10 Bass combo amp, the thing has done its job for now but i think the 2x10's just arnt doing the job.

the manuel for the SWR combo says:

260 watts @ 8 ohms (internal cabinet)

400 watts @ 4 ohms (with 8 ohm extension speaker)

(Minimum Impedance = 4 ohms)

im really looking into buying this,

specs on that : Imp: 4 ohms, power handling: 800 Watts

its a 1x18 cab, and what i want to do is remove the head from the swr and just use this cab. is that possible?

i feel like ill blow something up if i do this wrong haha, any help would be awesome

thanks!

Maybe. It depends on how the amp is wired. If there are 2 inputs for speakers on the back, then its possible that each one can only handle 8 ohms, but I would bet that they are connected, so running a single 4 Ohm cab should be safe.

• Members

I'm playing mostly Straight Rock, with two guitarists who use a lot of high end crunch, so I need a sound thats gonna fill in the lows and cut through as well

I'd look at 12's then. Mids are what "cuts through" and a set of neodymium 12's will kick out some pretty good lows for a 4 string (mine do great with my 5'r, even).

Check out this Avatar Neo 2x12 for $319. :thu:

• Members

I'm playing mostly Straight Rock, with two guitarists who use a lot of high end crunch, so I need a sound thats gonna fill in the lows and cut through as well

I'm not sure that amp is up to the task of dealing with 2 guitarists, especially if they're playing through 1/2 stacks and even remotely loud.

• Members

I'd look at 12's then. Mids are what "cuts through" and a set of neodymium 12's will kick out some pretty good lows for a 4 string (mine do great with my 5'r, even).

Check out this
for $319.
:thu:

This is a good suggestion...

I wouldn't remove the head from your combo though....

Just get an 8 ohm extension cab and run the 2 10's as well.

• Moderators

I'm not sure that amp is up to the task of dealing with 2 guitarists, especially if they're playing through 1/2 stacks and even remotely loud.

With enough speakers, one can easily deal with two guitarists. However, lots of speakers take up lots of space, and are a hassle to move. More power is usually a cheaper solution, or a combination of the two.

Archived