Tough places to play

BikerOnBass

• Members

My band played a state H.O.G. Rally a few years back. We'd played biker bars for many years and I had visions of debauchery, tits everywhere and mayhem in general. To the contrary, it was a tough crowd to motivate. Figure they were up at dawn on poker runs in the baking sun all day, having a few drinks and then coming back to the rally and throwin down a huge meal of ribs on a stick! They were content just to sit back and watch. There were a few rowdy's but nothing like I thought.

• Members

My band volunteered for a fundraiser a couple of years ago. We were set up at a bar at the end of the biker run. The idea was to get these folks into the bar after the run, get 'em liquored up, and to raise some money for a worthy cause.

At the end of the run, the bikers went to the bar down the street.

We played to a nearly empty room.

:(

• Members

We are regulars for a couple of bikers clubs. FTW is a pretty hardcore group.....but great people. We have been playing for them for about 6 years. We also play for the local BBC (British Bikers Co-Op) chapter every summer for their annual summer rally. These are my favorite gigs of the year.

• Members

Harley dealerships have got to be the most pretentious place on the planet.

I did a fire inspection at one of the Gleaming Harley Affront to God shops a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable how much fake attitude was flying around that place. The parts guy gave me {censored} when I wanted to come behind his counter to test the heat detectors, apparently "only authorized personnel are allowed behind this counter!". Trust me chief, for as much as your boss is paying me to be here, I'm authorized. :D Plus, I wouldn't steal parts for a bike you couldn't pay me to own...

The clapped out, methed up counter "girls" that were old enough to be my auntie weren't much better. Put a Harley t-shirt and leather boots on some people and it's instant {censored}ing badass.:rolleyes:

That's my rant, glad you had a good time. I hope the Hells Accountants didn't come and bust any skulls.:D

C7

• Members

OK...bars are one thing, but playing to a room full of bikers, at an actual Harley dealer, for a service department grand opening, when the beer is free, is a tough gig. I'm jazzed, I didn't mess anything up. I'd be the guy with the bass on the right...lol.

Where did this shop open up? Fairfield? (I'm from Richmond BTW)

• Members

I did a fire inspection at one of the Gleaming Harley Affront to God shops a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable how much fake attitude was flying around that place. The parts guy gave me {censored} when I wanted to come behind his counter to test the heat detectors, apparently "only authorized personnel are allowed behind this counter!". Trust me chief, for as much as your boss is paying me to be here, I'm authorized.
:D
Plus, I wouldn't steal parts for a bike you couldn't pay me to own...

The clapped out, methed up counter "girls" that were old enough to be my auntie weren't much better. Put a Harley t-shirt and leather boots on some people and it's instant {censored}ing badass.
:rolleyes:

That's my rant, glad you had a good time. I hope the Hells Accountants didn't come and bust any skulls.
C7

Oh man, you couldn't have described that any better! And if you want to see the real personality of 'harley' people come shining through, roll up on a bright red Honda sportbike. The Harley group is one group I have all of zero interest in knowing, and even less respect for in general. This is the die-hard live and breath, if you ain't on a harley you ain't {censored}e harley folks I'm talking about, not everyone who rides one.

• Members

I did a fire inspection at one of the Gleaming Harley Affront to God shops a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable how much fake attitude was flying around that place. The parts guy gave me {censored} when I wanted to come behind his counter to test the heat detectors, apparently "only authorized personnel are allowed behind this counter!". Trust me chief, for as much as your boss is paying me to be here, I'm authorized.
Plus, I wouldn't steal parts for a bike you couldn't pay me to own...

The clapped out, methed up counter "girls" that were old enough to be my auntie weren't much better. Put a Harley t-shirt and leather boots on some people and it's instant {censored}ing badass.
:rolleyes:

That's my rant, glad you had a good time. I hope the Hells Accountants didn't come and bust any skulls.
C7

There is a lot of that. Exactly why after owning 4 Harley's within 15 years I bought a new Triumph and got out of that whole scene.

• Members

Oh man, you couldn't have described that any better! And if you want to see the real personality of 'harley' people come shining through, roll up on a bright red Honda sportbike. The Harley group is one group I have all of zero interest in knowing, and even less respect for in general. This is the die-hard live and breath, if you ain't on a harley you ain't {censored}e harley folks I'm talking about, not everyone who rides one.

My father and brother are both Harley techs, but they both got out of the business because they got tired of putting aftermarket chrome on brand new bikes, then getting blamed for the mechanical issues they caused. My brother quit because the dealership he worked for took all their techs off of flat rate and cut their pay to $12 an hour.:freak:

Used to be, Harley dealerships were small, private operations. Now, HD of America requires all dealers to have a mandatory amount of retail space dedicated to Harley crap and shiny "aftermarket" garbage. If you've been to any of the new dealerships lately you'll notice that maybe 30% of the floor space is actually dedicated to motorcycles, the rest of it is merchandise.

I'll never forget going into the Harley dealership in Dublin, Ireland, to get my brother and dad t-shirts. They wanted the equivalent of $70 for a {censored}ing t-shirt. Harley is lame.

C7

• Members

Again, I couldn't agree more. Harley is not about the bikes, and it hasn't been for decades. It's about image, and they are selling that in droves to the idiots who lap it up. Their bikes are lightyears behind the times in technology, they are overpriced at least by 100% of anywhere near their worth, and the people who want a badass image go for them like, as you put it, a fat kid towards the waffles. I'm as pro US as they come, but with motorcycles I can only hope that someday the US will wake up and Harley will go down. Then maybe we'll get some real bikes built around here and get rid of the sheep harley "bikers".

• Members

Many years ago I had a harley, as did alot of my friends, I tore my bike apart and rebuilt everything. I did send off the machine-shop work. I frequently went to the local shops for misc. parts. I got to know the owner and mechs. Then H-D's popularity took off. I lasted about 5 more years. The shop changed hands, turned into a boutique. I soon got a little annoyed by the manufactured instant attitudes the new owners that paid the shop to bling out their bikes had. I sold mine and bought a BMW

• Members

I've never had any problems with bikers, personally.

Looks like it was a good gig.
:thu:

I don't have a beef with bikers, just the guys that sell the bikes.

Well, I do kind of have a beef with the weekend lifestyle bikers. Tax accountants and stock analysts in brand spanking new leather jackets that all say "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" on the back, riding brand spanking new two-tone Heritage Softails with more chrome than the Deathstar bolted onto them. Even better if they have two arms full of brand new "hardass" tattoos. Get a group of those douchebags together and it's like they think they're a hardcore gang or something. I wish they'd just drink their gin and tonics and shut the {censored} up. :D

C7

• Members

Well, I do kind of have a beef with the weekend lifestyle bikers.

C7

Oh, I don't call them bikers, I call them accountants with motorbikes. ;)

Even they don't really get in my face too much. I can, however, see how they would give a guy like you a bunch of trouble, though. FWIW, I've only had problems with a few guys on bikes and they always drove the racer type bikes.

Archived