A public service announcement. (Rogue content)

82Daion

• Members

If you're considering buying a Rogue like this one, save yourself the trouble. :)

My friend left his Rogue LX406 with me so that I could set it up, as the neck had developed a back bow due to the changes in humidity we've experienced lately.

I adjusted the truss rods and got some relief back into the neck, but as I sighted down the neck, it looked like the neck had developed an S-curve. Upon closer inspection, the neck was fine, but the 12th through the 19th fret were so badly installed that you could slip a sheet of paper between the fret end and the fingerboard. :freak:

The bass had several high frets elsewhere on the neck, and when I detuned the strings to adjust the truss rods, the nut fell off.

The other area of the bass that was rather horrifying was the electronics cavity. Not only was it a rat's nest wiring-wise, but the preamp module was a Precision pickup cover into which some electronics had been epoxy-cast. I had a chance to plug it in last night, and the bass had barely any output, when I could get the jack and the cable to connect. :freak:

The woodwork and finish quality of the bass was OK, and the hardware was decent, but from a playability and electronics standpoint, you could do much better for $250.

Let's just say that the bass failed to meet my low expectations. ;)

• Members

If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are suggesting that Rogue may be producing low quality instruments. Is that correct?

:p

We have a winner!

:p

This post is stating the obvious-I just figured it would be nice to back up the perceived crappiness of the Rogue with some real-world experience.

• Members

Sounds like most of the playing problems could be fixed without too much trouble and get it OK to play. And of course, on low-end gear, the "active" electronics will suck.

Once I got the backbow out of the the neck, it actually played pretty well-you'd just have to do some serious fretwork to get it playing without any buzzing.

I figure with $100-$150 in fretwork plus whatever money you'd need to get the electronics up to snuff, you'd be better off just buying a used Ibanez or something.

/captain obvious

Archived