4003/1 string spacing

REMUS

• Members

Thanks lug, if I use ric pups and say 18-19mm spacing will that cause any problems since I imagine the strings won't be directly over the poles then?

probably not. Haven't ever tried it but I've used pickups in the past that were slightly off center and it was fine. Mainly just depends on how far away from the bridge they are placed.

• Moderators

Naturally, they get closer together, the farther from the bridge, though that's not as extreme as with other basses.

I get 21/32" (16.7mm) between the G and the D, 23/32" (18.26mm) between the others at the bridge on my 1979 4001. Average distance is 22/32" (17.5mm). All distances are center to center.

• Members

Naturally, they get closer together, the farther from the bridge, though that's not as extreme as with other basses.

I get 21/32" (16.7mm) between the G and the D, 23/32" (18.26mm) between the others at the bridge on my 1979 4001. Average distance is 22/32" (17.5mm). All distances are center to center.

Are the pups exactly the same size on the 4001 and 4003?

• Moderators

:mad::o

I think i'll be ok with 18mm, that shouldn't interfere with the pickups too much then.

Thanks Isaac
:thu:

Are the pups exactly the same size on the 4001 and 4003?

As far as I know, the high gains on the 4003 are exactly the same as on the 4001. I would expect 18mm spacing to be fine, especially if you put the pickup fairly close to the bridge.

What, exactly, are you doing?

• Members

IIRC, he is throwing Ric pups on a non-Ric bass to emulate the sound a bit.

As long as it's a maple body and neck-thru, that should work! :D I still get 17 mm. Mine measures exactly 2 inches center E to center G. that's 50.8 mm. Divided by three gives 16.933" string to string gap.

• Members

As long as it's a maple body and neck-thru, that should work!
:D
I still get 17 mm. Mine measures exactly 2 inches center E to center G. that's 50.8 mm. Divided by three gives 16.933" string to string gap.

Zebrano body and a 5 stud bolt on neck :D

• Moderators

As long as it's a maple body and neck-thru, that should work!
:D
I still get 17 mm. Mine measures exactly 2 inches center E to center G. that's 50.8 mm. Divided by three gives 16.933" string to string gap.

Mine measures 2 1/16". that's 66/32". Divided by three is 22/32", or 11/16". Pretty close, either way. :idk:

Pickup placement also makes a difference. Most Ric pickups are positioned at the second and third octaves of the open strings. Another way of looking at it is that the neck pickup is mounted halfway between the twelfth fret and the bridge, the bridge pickup halfway between the neck pickup and the bridge.

• Members

Mine measures 2 1/16". that's 66/32". Divided by three is 22/32", or 11/16". Pretty close, either way.
:idk:

Pickup placement also makes a difference. Most Ric pickups are positioned at the second and third octaves of the open strings. Another way of looking at it is that the neck pickup is mounted halfway between the twelfth fret and the bridge, the bridge pickup halfway between the neck pickup and the bridge.

For some reason, the pups don't seem to make as big a difference as I thought. If you listen to Spock's Beard, Dave Meros usually sounds just like a ric but has had 4 jazz pups installed (two in the "ric" position, two in the "jazz" position). In the ric position, I can't detect any difference from a normal ric.

• Moderators

For some reason, the pups don't seem to make as big a difference as I thought. If you listen to Spock's Beard, Dave Meros usually sounds just like a ric but has had 4 jazz pups installed (two in the "ric" position, two in the "jazz" position). In the ric position, I can't detect any difference from a normal ric.

Well, Ric pickups and Jazz pickups are both single coil. My Barts are humbuckers, but my Burgundyglo 4001 still sounds like a Ric.

Archived