Truss-rod wrenches & new basses

LadyM

• Members

When you buy a new bass, do you normally receive a truss-rod wrench with it specific to the instrument?

I bought my first bass tonight at GC. They made an adjustment to the bass, with what I think to be the an Allen wrench, or truss-rod wrench? When I checked my things at home, I don't have the wrench. My kid's xmas gift acoustic guitar came with a wrench in the box. My bass came just straight off the display, into my gig bag. The wrench was at the GC front desk with their tools.

Wondering if there might have been a wrench to go with my bass somewhere? Assume it's not an expensive tool... but hate paying for stuff if a piece was missed. Thanks for any input:)!

btw... yes, I know the HCBF drill... "pics, or it doesn't exist!" ...will work on that tomorrow for sure;).

• Members

There should have been a whole packet of stuff with that bass if it was sold as new, including a truss rod wrench, along with the warranty card, owner's manual, and bridge adjustment wrench. If they didn't give you that stuff you should go back and talk to the manager.

What bass did you buy?

C7

O.... dammit:mad:... warranty card & owner's manual... excellent point! Dhrr... Thx for mentioning that too. Nope, just looking in my gig bag, don't have that either. So, there should be two tools? Not just the truss-rod wrench? There was kinda a comotion at the desk and closing time, so maybe it was just overlooked. I will call them Monday. The guy that sold it to me will not be there. Hopefully someone else can help me. I bought an Ibanez soundgear series, SRX300. Wished I would have more $ to spend for the 500 series, but that was over the $500 mark, so gotta wait for now. Appreciate you mentioning the rest and responding to my question:).

• Members

O.... dammit:mad:... warranty card & owner's manual... excellent point! Dhrr... Thx for mentioning that too. Nope, just looking in my gig bag, don't have that either. So, there should be two tools? Not just the truss-rod wrench? There was kinda a comotion at the desk and closing time, so maybe it was just overlooked. I will call them Monday. The guy that sold it to me will not be there. Hopefully someone else can help me. I bought an Ibanez soundgear series, SRX300. Wished I would have more $ to spend for the 500 series, but that was over the $500 mark, so gotta wait for now. Appreciate you mentioning the rest and responding to my question:).

No problem.

I've sold Ibanez basses, I know for a fact that they come with tools for adjusting the truss rod and bridge. The bridge tool is just a smaller allen wrench. They also come with some paperwork and a manual.

If they don't provide you with the kit, they're suckaz, I think you can contact Ibanez to get the stuff, and you can probably fill out the warranty info online. As for the truss rod tool, PM Kindness and ask him what size allen it is, he should know.

C7

• Members

Just pop back there and tell them that you never got the stuff :) They should be able to give it to you. I've gotten all those bits and pieces with all my basses. Even a 20 year old bass I bought had all those still tucked away in the case inc. the warranty card and manual in japanese. :)

• Members

No problem.

I've sold Ibanez basses, I know for a fact that they come with tools for adjusting the truss rod and bridge. The bridge tool is just a smaller allen wrench. They also come with some paperwork and a manual.

If they don't provide you with the kit, they're suckaz, I think you can contact Ibanez to get the stuff, and you can probably fill out the warranty info online. As for the truss rod tool, PM Kindness and ask him what size allen it is, he should know.

C7

Thx for telling me that. This particular one was clearance, and less $. I asked why... like if it was a return or something, can't remember them saying that. Like meaning, wondering if the original owner lost part of the stuff. But good to know that I can contact the company too.

• Members

Just pop back there and tell them that you never got the stuff
:)
They should be able to give it to you. I've gotten all those bits and pieces with all my basses. Even a 20 year old bass I bought had all those still tucked away in the case inc. the warranty card and manual in japanese.

Thx for chiming in... my kid's acoustic guitar was about as basic as they come for $100 and still had the stuff. O... this one was the black one too:cool:... know you are a lover of black basses... my partial choice as well:).

• Members

Ok... I know C7 said Kindness would know the sizes. Sure it's at the store somewhere:idk:. Thx:).

Yeah, just about any Walmart or Kmart would have an allen set. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby I'd go there first. Any hardware store would definately have them but they would cost more $. The sets have 12 different sizes and up.

• Members

Yeah, just about any Walmart or Kmart would have an allen set. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby I'd go there first. Any hardware store would definately have them but they would cost more $. The sets have 12 different sizes and up.

Thx guys... appreciate those specifics:)!

• Moderators

That is good info. They should have given it to you at the store, but the previous owner probably kept them. Customer service for Ibanez should send you what you need for free, but they might not. A set of metric allen keys should have you covered, however, some truss rod nuts are 4.5mm and a lot of sets have 4mm and 5mm keys, but no 4.5mm. That is frustrating! If you ever expect to do adjustments to parts made in the US, you should get a set of English/Imperial unit allen keys as well. Many truss rods are 3/16", so you might want to make sure that size is in the set.

• Members

That is good info. They should have given it to you at the store, but the previous owner probably kept them. Customer service for Ibanez should send you what you need for free, but they might not. A set of metric allen keys should have you covered, however, some truss rod nuts are 4.5mm and a lot of sets have 4mm and 5mm keys, but no 4.5mm. That is frustrating! If you ever expect to do adjustments to parts made in the US, you should get a set of English/Imperial unit allen keys as well. Many truss rods are 3/16", so you might want to make sure that size is in the set.

Thx, Kindness... appreciate the info:)!

• Members

go to the store and get the ones they use..

one for the truss rod

one for the saddle adjusting

put them in your pocket and say thanks

lol... ok... what to do about that security guy at the store tho that checks your stuff out at the door:evil:...

I called em, no luck without the same sales guy there... one guy on the phone just said the bass was probably clearance with some things missing to it, hmm... I went to Ibanez web site and did the product warranty registration on line, so check that... they don't guarantee that they respond to their emails due to volume, but have a written address... maybe a way to get an extra owner's manual copy just to have... see what the other guy says on Tuesday if I call back and talk to him directly.

• Members

Bought two basses and a guitar from the internet, and they came in factory boxes with all the wrenches and requisite useless 1.5' cable.

My Squire VM was the first "new" bass I've recently bought (from GC), and all I got was a garbage bag to wrap it in.

• Members

The GC in Tulsa didn't give me squat with both a Peavey bass and Squire guitar I purchased there.....

Online purchases I have made I rec'd the whole packet.

GC just sucks that way.

That said... Any auto parts store should have the allen wrench sets as well.

• Members

Hmm... think I am seeing a trend here about the GC purchases... well Mayberry is limited, so good ole GC is the only place next town over from Mayberry. Other most major road trip in the future would be Chicago... sure with a bigger city, and formite input, there would be a variety of shops to chose from. But GC for this time...

• Moderators

Hmm... think I am seeing a trend here about the GC purchases... well Mayberry is limited, so good ole GC is the only place next town over from Mayberry. Other most major road trip in the future would be Chicago... sure with a bigger city, and formite input, there would be a variety of shops to chose from. But GC for this time...

When you make that road trip, let us know and we'll hook you up. :thu:

• Members

When you make that road trip, let us know and we'll hook you up.
:thu:

Appreciate that :)! I had thought that, and one other non-Chicago formite that was giving me some good tips on used to buy, said that the windy city folks would probably be able to give good advice.

Too much crazy nonfun life stuff lately, or I would have made the trip this time. Looking forward to the spring thaw, and a music store shopping trip just for fun to see what else is out there (besides good ole GC). Hmm... maybe it's the start of G.A.S. disease already...:freak:

• Moderators

Appreciate that
! I had thought that, and one other non-Chicago formite that was giving me some good tips on used to buy, said that the windy city folks would probably be able to give good advice.

Too much crazy nonfun life stuff lately, or I would have made the trip this time. Looking forward to the spring thaw, and a music store shopping trip just for fun to see what else is out there (besides good ole GC). Hmm... maybe it's the start of G.A.S. disease already...
:freak:

I live a block from here. It is like a bass library.

• Members

I did get to talk to the guy that sold me the bass today at GC. I now have a truss-rod wrench:thu:. He said there was no other tool that came with the bass:idk:... also said that Ibanez is no longer sending out the owner's manual/etc. with the bass? On their web site. I registered it online, but couldn't get the other info to load. Think I'm just send a written inquiry by chance that they might send a book out. But, at least I did get the one tool.

• Members

I live a block from
. It is like a bass library.

Wow. Kindess! ...the pic of the store popped up in that link, and all I could udder out of my mouth was... omg:love:! Thx for sharing that... looks most definately worth the travel. Ghee... how could I not make a trip to the bass library and not buy something! Not sure how one lives so close to such a place and NOT have a lot of $ spent in the establishment. Which side of town is it on?... East/West, etc? I could google it too I guess. Pretty amazing looking...

Archived