"Smile you son of a bitBOOOM"

Goofball Jones

• Members

Mythbusters pretty much shot this whole idea down, though (unless he happened to have high powered armor piercing incendiary rounds).

Cool! They disproved a fictional movie! Right on!

What are they going to do next, show a clip from Star Wars and then prove there's no sound in space?

:rolleyes:

• Members

Cool! They disproved a fictional movie! Right on!

What are they going to do next, show a clip from Star Wars and then prove there's no sound in space?

:rolleyes:

Duh. Unlike Star Wars, Jaws was supposed to be plausible in the real world, that was the whole point. Shooting an air tank with a rifle as shown doesn't work.

• Members

Mythbusters pretty much shot this whole idea down, though (unless he happened to have high powered armor piercing incendiary rounds).

That wouldn't work either - it would just punch a hole through both sides of the tank. i doubt the incendiary aspect would make a difference either, at high velocity.

Instead of a boom, you'd get a big hiss.

To make a pressurized tank explode, you generally want a low velocity round that will dent the wall before penetrating, like a .45 ACP.

Though a 45 acp may just bounce off an air tank...

I used to shoot full propane tanks (the little ones for torches) with 22 long rifle rounds - they don't explode - they just hiss like crazy and fly up in the air like a firework. :p

• Members

That wouldn't work either - it would just punch a hole through both sides of the tank. i doubt the incendiary aspect would make a difference either, at high velocity.

To make a pressurized tank explode, you generally want a low velocity round that will dent the wall before penetrating, like a .45 ACP.

I used to shoot full propane tanks (the little ones for torches) with 22 long rifle rounds - they don't explode - they just hiss like crazy and fly up in the air like a firework.
:p

Truth.

http://mythbustersresults.com/special8

If a pressurized scuba tank is shot, it will explode.

busted

When the tank was punctured by a bullet it simply decompressed quickly, causing it to fly around like a compressed-air rocket. The team was only able to make the tank explode in the end by using explosives.

• Members

I used to shoot full propane tanks (the little ones for torches) with 22 long rifle rounds - they don't explode - they just hiss like crazy and fly up in the air like a firework.
:p

I remember now - the armor piercing incendiary rounds were for the propane tank test, not the scuba air tank test. Basically similar, though.

• Members

R.I.P.

Steel tanks have exploded though and with serious force , because they rust , especially when stored on their side , as the tanks wall is thinner on it's side , Aluminum = better .

• Members

Truth.

If a pressurized scuba tank is shot, it will explode.

busted

When the tank was punctured by a bullet it simply decompressed quickly, causing it to fly around like a compressed-air rocket. The team was only able to make the tank explode in the end by using explosives.

BUT....it might push a shark backwards and make it drown because water wasn't passing over it's gills. .....(it would have to be a very very very large tank, though)

Archived