How would you tune a 7 string?

TheDarxide

• Members

I bid on a H&S Sequoia 7 string bass last night for giggles: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360020855635

It's cheap enough that if it's a bit of a dog it doesn't matter. Apart from the odd looking body and lack of intonation adjustment it looks okay. I hope it is, that company has some great looking triple necks

So..... what's the 7th string tuned to? I assume since the 6th is a C, that it continues in 4ths so it's a F?

Why is the 6th a C and not a B anyway?

• Members

Basses are usually tuned in 4ths which are 5 semi-tones apart.

BEADGC is one tuning for 6 strings, but there are no rulez for it. I have heard of people tuning 6ers EADGBE one octave lower than guitar.

For a 7 you can add a high f or a low f#.

They are tuned n 4ths because bassist are to lazy to learn a diffeent pattern for each chord/scale :poke:

• Members

They are tuned n 4ths because bassist are to lazy to learn a diffeent pattern for each chord/scale :poke:

When I was small and got my first acoustic, it was tuned EADGCF anyway, because my friends brother showed me that the next string was tuned the same as the 5th fret of the previous, and didn't mention the B.... Actually, I say *tuned* very loosely, because I just tuned the strings to each other.

I'll go with BEADGCF, no sense rocking the boat. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I only use two strings anyway.... :D

Archived