NMD

fretless

• Members

you guys may or maynot remember but I was itch'n for a telephone sound from a mic , some folks do make them but I thought I would make one myself . True you can just use a multi-band compressor to simulate it and that is super easy and works great but I wanted the real deal so , I scored 1940's phone mics for 20 bucks from ebay

fba5_1_sbl.jpg

and my friend is a tech and he wanted one so he built them and I gave him 2 , he used a plumbing fitting and made a little 48v. phantom power and it works great , very sensitive though , it has Carbon particals inside which sounds like sand and you can not touch it or shake it while recording but it has the sound , I did a quick test with voice and it nails the "phone call" thing , very gritty too .

phonemic.jpg

here is a quick test with my parlor geetar , I used the Guttermouth jam again :lol: I am sure I owe royalties by now :confused::poke: :cop:

you can here the acoustic lead has a little grit especially when I dig in a bit , so far very cool homemade mic , do I see another Guttermouth project in the future :lol::freak:

Gutter jams

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/33738-craploadoftracks.mp3

• Members

Sweet, I've always wanted to do that! I might do it soon when I get a chance.
:cool:

Got any spare mic's or are you using all of those ones you bought?
:p

well I made the deal with my friend he gets 2 and I get 2 , he knows what he was doing so I accepted his offer , I paid for everything , which was so far less the 40 bucks and got 2 mics :p ebay my man !

It's a cool mic but it really shines on the gritty phone voice thing ;)

• Members

they need to be powered and it was either a battery or phantom powered .

well I made the deal with my friend he gets 2 and I get 2 , he knows what he was doing so I accepted his offer , I paid for everything , which was so far less the 40 bucks and got 2 mics
:p
ebay my man !

It's a cool mic but it really shines on the gritty phone voice thing
;)

Ahh Ok :)

Any ideas what I should search for in ebay to find that kinda thing. I just ended up with a bunch of cheap chinese skype headsets showing up when I tried. :cry:

• Members

I could , but I have to wait for the weekend now , it will be the only free time I have for it . I'll send you a link when I get it , I also had a lot of luck using a Hohner Blues harp mic which is really great for that gritty sound as well .
:lol:

Awesome. You have teh PM btw. :poke:

• Members

That one in the link isn't as classy looking as yours. What did you use for casing?

that is a PVC fitting " end cap " and a fitting clamp , notice the " hose clamps" I have the mic holder squeezing onto the clamps . It's a little tough to see in that pic, and just a xlr hanging out of the back . It's only a few dollars in parts . :lol: I originally wanted those cool '50's era aluminum drinking cups , the red and blue ones but my friend went with the more industrial look . :rolleyes:

Archived