Anyone recently ditched their 5er to go back to 4?

chubrocker

• Members

I've LOVED my 5er for a while now. I just dig hitting the low D or low Eb. But, it's not really fitting in with the band context I'm in right now--plus, house sound systems that are not bass friendly. The low end is there, but not clean and clear. The lower notes just muddies the sound. I rarely play the 5er except on songs in D. Even then, I'm tuning the E down to D just for the song so I don't have to mess with changing basses.

Anyone else ditching/ditched their 5er lately?

• Members

Never. Besides, you can always not play the low B notes on a fiver, but you can never add them all to a four. At least witout going all BEAD on it and giving up the G notes. Fivers are great tools, and I'll likely never be regularly playing a four again.

• Members

Never. Besides, you can always not play the low B notes on a fiver, but you can never add them all to a four. At least witout going all BEAD on it and giving up the G notes. Fivers are great tools, and I'll likely never be regularly playing a four again.

Agreeed i want both the real low of the B and the high G. Im the opposite of you, in my band its working out that i rock the low sound all the time now. Not to mention the spacing has spoiled me and i can't play a 4 anywhere as fast or smooth as my 5.

• Members

But, it's not really fitting in with the band context I'm in right now...

That's what I've run into so I'm using the 4 string basses now.

It's just my taste, but I like 5ers for punk and hard rock stuff. I'm playing old school soul and Motown stuff now so I don't feel the need for the 5er. :idk:

• Members

Certain lines come easier from a four - I find it's easier to get aggressive on fingerstyle with the extra spacing on a 4 string.

Slap/pop is also much easier for me on a four string.

I'm still working out how to integrate both basses into the band, without too much hassle.

• Members

I've been a six string player for many years, and then 5 and now that I bought my Jaguar, I'm back to 4 for most of the material, with the fretless 5 for anything requiring mwaaa or lower than E... The Jag just has a huge sound and feels soooo nice...

• Members

I'm going to get my first fiver soon, which will be a nice experience. I think I will find it nice to have more notes available to me. Going any lower than D is useless for me, which is why I'm going to tune the fiver EADGC, and in some time add a hipshot detuner on the E.

• Moderators

For years I felt like L-1329 and all I owned were 5-strings. Since then I've changed my views and have only added 4s to my collection. The 4s now get nearly all the playing time. I've also converted one of my 5s to EADGC. My next ERB will be a 6 strung E-f (or E-e) or a 7 strung B-f (or B-e).

• Members

For years I felt like L-1329 and all I owned were 5-strings. Since then I've changed my views and have only added 4s to my collection. The 4s now get nearly all the playing time. I've also converted one of my 5s to EADGC. My next ERB will be a 6 strung E-f (or E-e) or a 7 strung B-f (or B-e).

Same here. I just drop tune my 4 bangers. And honestly, I don't really need that much extended range on the top end.

• Members

The two guitarists I've more recently played with love tuning down, so I always bring the '5er, as I don't like changing the fingering for more familiar tunes. I have to look away from them when learning new material though, because I'll end up fretting the same as them and getting a wholly different result. lol!

Playing alone though, I'm usually on one of my j-basses. Vibrato and bending is easier because of the lower string tension, plus I have my grandpa's sausage fingers, so for slap, I'm definitely grabbing my mexican j-bass.

Archived