Amp Input Hookups... mp3/cd, headphones...

LadyM

• Members

OK, just got my first bass and amp. TYIA for entertaining my Forrest Gump questions here...

The amp has an input for 1) headphones, 2) cd player/mp3 player.

1) Headphones... didn't buy any at the time, knew I had some simple pairs at home from old portable cd players to fit... fine, but very short wire to connect I see now, roughly 3 1/2 ft... I looked at some headphones on line, but can't see any specs on how long "typically" the connection wire is? ...saw there are just additional wires you can run in between, like just add onto what I had... but lots of length, like 25ft, maybe too much cord to deal with? Seems like I have seen bunge cord style ones before too...

2) cd player/mp3 player input... what do you need to hook the mp3 player up? Obviously, the Ipod has the wire coming out of it for the headphones when worn... what type of wire do you use to make it play thru the amp? ...I assume then, both the mp3, and bass plugged in to play along project together out of the amp? ...and your bass just "plays over" the mp3?

3) mp3 player AND headphones... can you use both at the same time? ...having the mp3 sound, bass playing along... make no external amp sound... just going thru the headphones?

btw... FWIW if help on answering, just a simple practice amp combo, Acoustic B20 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-104622667-i1383305.gc

• Members

I did a similar thing but instead of an iPod, I ran iTunes on my laptop using the afore mentioned Radio Shack 1/8" to 1/4" cable AND a small mixer.

I picked up a returned, but clean 8 channel Yamaha mixer from GC, really cheap (no box or manual).

Bass goes into one channel, cable from laptop goes into the other.

Mixer out goes to Bass Amp instrument input.

This worked really well with a Markbass Little Mark II and an Avatar 210 Neo cab.

I am using the same mixer now with my PA.

• Members

Thx for that info:)... I think I need just a 1/8" to 1/8" tho... measured both, and they are the same:idk:... so I assume this is the similiar item for that... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102948

• Members

I did a similar thing but instead of an iPod, I ran iTunes on my laptop using the afore mentioned Radio Shack 1/8" to 1/4" cable AND a small mixer.

I picked up a returned, but clean 8 channel Yamaha mixer from GC, really cheap (no box or manual).

Bass goes into one channel, cable from laptop goes into the other.

Mixer out goes to Bass Amp instrument input.

This worked really well with a Markbass Little Mark II and an Avatar 210 Neo cab.

I am using the same mixer now with my PA.

Ok... that's a thought too... thx for explaining how to hook it up:).

Archived