Nickelback does Metalica

RIC N BACKER

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man I rule the derail.

Pumpkins' biggest song is almost certainly Today. Some people need to grow a clue. Mellencollie was awesome of course, and huge, but Today is by far their best known song, to my knowledge. second is 'THE RAT IN A CAGE SONG.' :p

Their best album is definitely, definitely Siamese Dream. Listen to that. Every single song is very good, if not great. Cherub Rock, Soma, Mayonaise, Geek USA, Hummer, Quiet. Etc. Go listen to those.

Frankly, calling someone a whiner because they have money is pretty stupid. Rich people have emotional wrecks too, and what do we want people to sing about? Their emotions. At least, I do. Emotional connection to music is very important.

Anyway, Corgan's music were a million times better than anything Nirvana put out. I think Kobain was a bit of a better lyricist in most cases, and definitely a much better singer, but their music - bleh. Their tone, decent, but not close to the Pumpkins.

And Disarm is probably one of the worst songs they ever put out =P

• Members

Man I rule the derail.

Pumpkins' biggest song is almost certainly Today. Some people need to grow a clue. Mellencollie was awesome of course, and huge, but Today is by far their best known song, to my knowledge. second is 'THE RAT IN A CAGE SONG.'
:p

Their best album is definitely, definitely Siamese Dream. Listen to that. Every single song is very good, if not great. Cherub Rock, Soma, Mayonaise, Geek USA, Hummer, Quiet. Etc. Go listen to those.

Frankly, calling someone a whiner because they have money is pretty stupid. Rich people have emotional wrecks too, and what do we want people to sing about? Their emotions. At least, I do. Emotional connection to music is very important.

Anyway, Corgan's music were a million times better than anything Nirvana put out. I think Kobain was a bit of a better lyricist in most cases, and definitely a much better singer, but their music - bleh. Their tone, decent, but not close to the Pumpkins.

And Disarm is probably one of the worst songs they ever put out =P

This, plus your Modulus, makes you :thu: in my book!

• Members

It's pretty funny that you talk about Dream Theater. I'm unsure if you're saying they write good lyrics or not though.

James LaBrie doesn't write any of the lyrics...Portnoy and Petrucci do. LeBrie is a tool...and a large part of why people don't like the band. He sucks live...but is good in the studio. The fan base you talk about mainly like the band for the musical abilities...and the complexity of their music...not the lyrics.

DT is one of my biggest influences...as with the rest of my band.

I think that any band that can pull off a concept album that's worth a $hit has great lyricists by definition. The singer does not necessarily need to be chief writer to pull it off. Peart's the man for Rush.

As far as depth of music vs. depth of lyrics, that's one of those chicken/egg questions. Prog rock bands are defined by the complexity of their music, but also tend to be very cerebral in lyrics. Is one a function of the other? I don't know. Top 40 stations seem to be run by simple hooks so who's to say what's good music. No longevity in Top 40, though.

• Members

I think that any band that can pull off a concept album that's worth a $hit has great lyricists by definition. The singer does not necessarily need to be chief writer to pull it off. Peart's the man for Rush.

As far as depth of music vs. depth of lyrics, that's one of those chicken/egg questions. Prog rock bands are defined by the complexity of their music, but also tend to be very cerebral in lyrics. Is one a function of the other? I don't know. Top 40 stations seem to be run by simple hooks so who's to say what's good music. No longevity in Top 40, though.

Scenes From a Memory is arguably my favorite DT album...but 6 Degrees on the other hand...not so much.

I'm sure that their lyrics help them in certain parts of their songs...but I know that they used to write all of the music first...then come in with lyrics.

• Members

On a side note, I went to a show a couple of years ago where DT and Queensryche were alternating headlining a tour. After both of their sets, the 2 bands came out for a huge fanally and performed "won't get fooled again" and "comfortably numb". Amazing. You can check it out on QR's Art of Live disc and I think on Youtube. Pretty impressive dueling guitars and drum mesh.

Archived