Nickelback does Metalica

RIC N BACKER

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same for just about every Beatles song. Yeah, that must have been a crap band too.

Come on, you're actually judging a band on lyrics? Seriously???

No, I am judging gg's comment that Chad Kroger is a "really good" songwriter based on crappy lyrics and underwhelming repetitive riffs.

Beatles? Crappy lyrics? Debatable. But they could put an element other than a root note in a bass line, and their guitar work ranged from really slick to incredible.

• Members

A Nickelback show is damn fun for what it is- modern rock music. If you don't like it, then get the {censored} out! You shouldn't be there anyways. :cool:

Their mixing is great, both studio and live. I like about half of the songs per album. It's good driving music, as they usually have good steady/driving beats, and when the sub cranks up, so does the odometer. .. ;)

• Members

Beatles? Crappy lyrics? Debatable. But they could put an element other than a root note in a bass line, and their guitar work ranged from really slick to incredible.

Have you ever seen Chad really let loose and play? Because when you do, this statement rings void. And dumb. And silly. :p He does some really cool stuff live, and on their I think it was "coming home" dvd from 2002 he plays off of Jerry Cantrell, and it's pretty damn sweet.

You'd be hard pressed to put the chops of Harrison and Lennon against those two, chief. :p

And yes- the Beatles had crappy lyrics. Please! It was bubble gum pop!!

until they discovered drugs... ;)

• Members

regardless of who's smarter, a nickleback fan would definitely lose a mixed martial arts fight to a metallica fan. no matter what.

I'm glad that MMA is now the baseline judgment of awesomeness.

High Five.

• Members

And yes- the Beatles had crappy lyrics. Please! It was bubble gum pop!!

until they discovered drugs...
;)

I think what a lot of people miss when they try and determine quality lyrics is context. Early Beatles was very much bubble gum pop, so the point wasn't to be lyrically complex. Within context, they are some of the best bubble gum songs ever written, and therefore are fine examples of quality songwriting.

Nickelback is cheesy bubble gum lyrics over what is supposed to be heavy rebellious music. That is poor writing. I won't, for a second, dispute their ability to play, they are clearly very talented. Lyrically, they almost never live up to the sound of the music. They do have some really kick ass tone, pretty much always, though :thu:

• Members

I think what a lot of people miss when they try and determine quality lyrics is context. Early Beatles was very much bubble gum pop, so the point wasn't to be lyrically complex. Within context, they are some of the best bubble gum songs ever written, and therefore are fine examples of quality songwriting.

Nickelback is cheesy bubble gum lyrics over what is supposed to be heavy rebellious music. That is poor writing. I won't, for a second, dispute their ability to play, they are clearly very talented. Lyrically, they almost never live up to the sound of the music. They do have some really kick ass tone, pretty much always, though
:thu:

Meh, contextually or not, to me, nowadays, it still sounds pretty weak. :)

To me in rock music lyrics are usually an afterthought anyhow (ever read the words to a pantera song? ;)), so it's ok by me.

I donno if I'd put them under "rebellious" or not, as just rock out stuff. Just b/c you have a riff doesn't mean you're singing about fightin' The Man. Linkin Park is more "rebellious" and makes me chuckle, much like rap music. :)

• Members

I actually went to Nickelback's show the last time they came through the Seattle area. For the record my wife is the Nickelback fan but I am a huge fan of Breaking Benjamin, and 3 Days Grace to a lesser extent, both of which opened for NB. They pretty much are what they are; a formula that seams to appeal to the masses.

What I wanted to post is that at one point in the show, Nickelback actually did a Panterra montage in memory of Dimebag Darrel and I have to say it was the most surreal thing I have ever witnessed. Kroger was actually going on about how close he was to Darrel and what a great guy he was. From everything I have heard, Darrel actually was a great guy, it just seemed strange that he was being euologized by the vanilla ice cream of rock. 99% of the audiance had no idea who he was talking about or what the hell they were looking at on the jumbo trons during the tribute. Bizarre.

• Members

I actually went to Nickelback's show the last time they came through the Seattle area. For the record my wife is the Nickelback fan but I am a huge fan of Breaking Benjamin, and 3 Days Grace to a lesser extent, both of which opened for NB. They pretty much are what they are; a formula that seams to appeal to the masses.

What I wanted to post is that at one point in the show, Nickelback actually did a Panterra montage in memory of Dimebag Darrel and I have to say it was the most surreal thing I have ever witnessed. Kroger was actually going on about how close he was to Darrel and what a great guy he was. From everything I have heard, Darrel actually was a great guy, it just seemed strange that he was being euologized by the vanilla ice cream of rock. 99% of the audiance had no idea who he was talking about or what the hell they were looking at on the jumbo trons during the tribute. Bizarre.

It just speaks to Dime, mang. He was any and everywhere, and never lived the bull{censored} rockstar life and hid from people like Phil.

They were just hicks from north Texas and Louisiana, and loved playing heavy music. That's why you saw so many bands do tributes or be affected by his death, because it was real and he reached out to everyone a hand.

Awesome cat, and to this day I'm still saddened knowing I won't ever get to meet him again. :(

• Members

It just speaks to Dime, mang. He was any and everywhere, and never lived the bull{censored} rockstar life and hid from people like Phil.

They were just hicks from north Texas and Louisiana, and loved playing heavy music. That's why you saw so many bands do tributes or be affected by his death, because it was real and he reached out to everyone a hand.

Awesome cat, and to this day I'm still saddened knowing I won't ever get to meet him again.
:(

+1 to that! And he was a great guy...I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Very nice and down to earth...as were Vinnie and Rex. Phil was being a reclusive {censored} and didn't come out of his dressing room...

On that note...I might be meeting him tonight. Down!!!

• Members

Meh, contextually or not, to me, nowadays, it still sounds pretty weak.
:)

To me in rock music lyrics are usually an afterthought anyhow (ever read the words to a pantera song?
;)
), so it's ok by me.

I donno if I'd put them under "rebellious" or not, as just rock out stuff. Just b/c you have a riff doesn't mean you're singing about fightin' The Man. Linkin Park is more "rebellious" and makes me chuckle, much like rap music.

Anytime lyrics are an afterthought, a song is weakend and not as good as it could be. Generally, I don't listen to Pantera, and that is a big part of the reason.

Rock is supposed to be rebellious. I wouldn't put them under "rebellious" either, and that is the problem. Its heavy music that is meant to loudly express dissastisfaction about something, whether that be the government, or your parents, or a boss, or a girl that hurt you, or whatever. They write "heavy" music about how they want to be rockstars and talk with a low douch-ey voice, the end result isn't heavy, or "rock" at all, because the lyrics are so light they offset what the instruments are working to acheive.

• Members

Anytime lyrics are an afterthought, a song is weakend and not as good as it could be. Generally, I don't listen to Pantera, and that is a big part of the reason.

Rock is supposed to be rebellious. I wouldn't put them under "rebellious" either, and that is the problem. Its heavy music that is meant to loudly express dissastisfaction about something, whether that be the government, or your parents, or a boss, or a girl that hurt you, or whatever. They write "heavy" music about how they want to be rockstars and talk with a low douch-ey voice, the end result isn't heavy, or "rock" at all, because the lyrics are so light they offset what the instruments are working to acheive.

We'll just hafta disagree there. :) I actually get in a better mood when I listen to Pantera or Slayer or Mastodon, etc.. A7X especially. Rock may have USED to only have been about that, but not anymore. Too many people can write slick riffs nowadays that you have to be angry all the time.

It's just what appeals to you, in the end. If I put on a beatles record on the last hour of a 4 hour drive, I'd be nodding off in t-minus 45 seconds! ;)

• Members

Meh, if you think Kroger or those douchebags can riff, you need go to listen to some Pumpkins. Corgan basically did everything Kroger did light-years better and ten years prior.

The guys are hacks, and technically proficient or not, their music is nothing but a conglomeration of all of the most boring parts of the early 90s.

• Members

We'll just hafta disagree there.
I actually get in a
better
mood when I listen to Pantera or Slayer or Mastodon, etc.. A7X especially. Rock may have USED to only have been about that, but not anymore. Too many people can write slick riffs nowadays that you have to be angry all the time.

It's just what appeals to you, in the end. If I put on a beatles record on the last hour of a 4 hour drive, I'd be nodding off in t-minus 45 seconds!
;)

Those are metal bands. Where nonsense is more of the norm, as long as it creates some sort of crazy imagery. Now, if Nickelback did that, we could argue about how they should be categorized because musically they really aren't a metal band, but lyrically they fit that mold, or something along those lines. Unfortunately, they don't do that, either.

I really wish that Kroeger (or whoever writes the lyrics) would come up with something more interesting lyrically, because they are soooooo talented on their instruments, and they really do know how to make a huge sound. If only they could find something worth saying, every song could go from mediocre to amazing. I think that is what frustrates me most about Nickelback, there is such potential for true greatness, but they settle for mediocrity.

At the end of a 4 hour drive, I always go with something that I have had for a really long time, so that I can sing along. Loud is never enough :wave:

• Members

Meh, if you think Kroger or those douchebags can riff, you need go to listen to some Pumpkins. Corgan basically did everything Kroger did light-years better and ten years prior.

The guys are hacks, and technically proficient or not, their music is nothing but a conglomeration of all of the most boring parts of the early 90s.

Big +1 here. They're the most painfully generic band out there. None of their music is terrible, but it's not interesting at all.

• Members

Pumpkins pwn Nirvana in any and all ways, so way ahead of ya there... ;)

• Members

At the end of a 4 hour drive, I always go with something that I have had for a really long time, so that I can sing along. Loud is never enough
:wave:

Agreed for the first part, but not on this-

loud is ALWAYS enough when you've got some searing leads and double-kick action that's busting our your hatch window!! :thu::thu:

• Members

Agreed for the first part, but not on this-

loud is ALWAYS enough when you've got some searing leads and double-kick action that's busting our your hatch window!!

All it means for me is that everyone driving by my crash can hear that I was listening to Nickelback when I fell asleep at the wheel. :cry::lol:

Archived