If the US stopped trade with China...

marxalot

• Moderators
You haven't. But you have bagged on Paul a bit IIRC.

I could bag on him a lot worse, but I'll leave that for when he enters the GE as a third party and people see him as more of a goof than Perot was. FWIW, I voted for Perot in 1992. Paul is simply a poor choice, IMHO, as was Perot in 1992.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I could bag on him a lot worse, but I'll leave that for when he enters the GE as a third party and people see him as more of a goof than Perot was. FWIW, I voted for Perot in 1992. Paul is simply a poor choice, IMHO, as was Perot in 1992.

I doubt he'll enter as a 3rd party candidate. And we'll have to disagree on him being a poor choice.

Now, McCain.....there's a poor god damn choice. :)

• Members
He won't. He's said that he is a Republican, and will remain so.

Well, you people only have yourselves to blame. This whole race started out with no one having a clue as to who would win. So no complaining
:p

Hey, I have every right to complain. I not only voted, I'm precinct chairman. :D

• Moderators

Hey, I have every right to complain. I not only voted, I'm precinct chairman.
:D

It's nice to know that the precinct chairmans have heard the complaints of the people and those complaints about Paul have fallen on deaf ears. You'd make an excellent politician, juggy.:p

j/k. really, I'm just kidding.

As you know I'm not a McCain fan, but it might be kind of fun to see what would be stirred up in the pot if he and Liberman hooked up as a Pres/VP ticket.

• Members

As you know I'm not a McCain fan, but it might be kind of fun to see what would be stirred up in the pot if he and Liberman hooked up as a Pres/VP ticket.

I'm precinct chairman for the GOP, not Ron Paul. ;)

And of course the Republican Party wants no part of him. He wants to limit their power just as much as the other side.

• Moderators
I'm precinct chairman for the GOP, not Ron Paul.
;)

And of course the Republican Party wants no part of him. He wants to limit their power just as much as the other side.

Oops. That went right over my head. I had several candidates try to hit my wife and I up for assisting with campaigns and we both declined.That's why I just assumed that. I want no part of Ron Paul because I disagree with several major viewpoints he has. Is he really Republican? Yep. I personally think he's slightly more a traditional Republican (what they once were) than he is a Libertarian, but that would be based upon certain stances he has, such as being pro-life. Pro-Life and Libertarian aren't really 2 words that go hand in hand in a true Libertarian sense.

• Members

Kind of a timely article...

link

China has had its first defeat at the World Trade Organization (WTO), in a case centred on restrictions on the importation of foreign-made car parts.

Upholding a complaint from the European Union, Canada and US, the preliminary WTO finding agrees that current Chinese practice is protectionisi. Under existing Chinese rules, its carmakers must use 60% Chinese-made parts - or pay higher taxes. The ruling says China must end this policy to meet its WTO obligations.

'Less favourable'

"We can confirm that, in all major respects, the panel has agreed with the United States that China has acted inconsistently with its WTO commitments," a US trade official told the Reuters news agency. The WTO report says that foreign-made car parts are currently in a "less favourable" position than their Chinese-made alternatives. "The dispute settlement body requests China to bring these inconsistent measures as listed above into conformity with its obligations," says the ruling. The WTO is now due to make its final report later this year, when the Chinese government will have the opportunity to appeal.

Western complaints

Based in Switzerland, the WTO is tasked with increasing global free trade, and rules on such disputes between countries. China first joined the organisation in 2001, pledging to open up its domestic market to overseas firms and abide by WTO rules for international trade. However, Western governments have repeatedly complained that China is not moving quickly enough.

The US announced last year that it was seeking a WTO inquiry over whether Chinese limits on imports of copyrighted US goods broke trade rules. America has also complained against continuing high levels of music and film piracy in China. Separately, the EU said earlier this month that it was considering launching WTO action against Chinese restrictions on foreign financial news groups. China in return has complained about EU limits on Chinese shoe exports.

• Members

Oops. That went right over my head. I had several candidates try to hit my wife and I up for assisting with campaigns and we both declined.That's why I just assumed that. I want no part of Ron Paul because I disagree with several major viewpoints he has. Is he really Republican? Yep. I personally think he's slightly more a traditional Republican (what they once were) than he is a Libertarian, but that would be based upon certain stances he has, such as being pro-life. Pro-Life and Libertarian aren't really 2 words that go hand in hand in a true Libertarian sense.

Very true. One of the things I disagree with him on.

• Members

Let's back this up to where it started....with Thumper's assessment that these people are paid too high of a wage.

I know how it works...I've done it. Sure, you can get overtime. Do you think these people, who are "overpaid", are working the OT because they like being there? The $100K+ you describe, with the base salary in question ($26/hr) would require you to average almost 60 hours per week, all year. Try that for a couple of weeks even, and get back to me. And the OT you describe is not the rule, but the exception...only certain people, and certain jobs, and it's never guaranteed or consistent. These guys may make 100K one year, and spend the rest of the next year laid off. And when they're laid off, it's not as if there's another Ford assembly plant in the next street that's hiring.

Tahoes and yachts, and gated comminuties. Yeah right.

They're not nearly the "exception" you seem to think they are. And I never said they had yachts...

I've no need to keep on about it though, I literally know hundreds of UAW workers as well as dozens of Auto execs...I'm pretty secure in my perspective as to what their lives are like...

• Members
I literally know hundreds of UAW workers as well as dozens of Auto execs...I'm pretty secure in my perspective as to what their lives are like...

Dancing in the bars again, eh KK? Are the tips getting any better? :p

Ok c'mon, I know it's coming....

Archived