If the US stopped trade with China...

marxalot

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I wouldn't miss anything. I'm so tired of those tiny gold "Made in China" stickers under everything I buy.

Unless this country starts *making* things again, we'll continue our slide into the 3rd world muck.

Don't be surprised if manufacturing starts moving back here in the course of the next decade. Traditional cheap labor countries are quickly becoming expensive for manufacturing. My bet is on new markets of cheap labor opening up, but many outsourcing experts predict a return of production to the US.

• Members

I wouldn't mind at all, I'd just continue to enjoy cheap stuff while USA wouldn't even have computers anymore.

If we cut off from China, their biggest customer, you better believe the prices would skyrocket for everyone else they sell to to make up the difference. You'd be paying out your a$$ for those computers.:cool:

• Members

Don't be surprised if manufacturing starts moving back here in the course of the next decade. Traditional cheap labor countries are quickly becoming expensive for manufacturing. My bet is on new markets of cheap labor opening up, but many outsourcing experts predict a return of production to the US.

It is not just cheap labor, it is the lack of any restrictions on what they do (i.e. OSHA, EPA, etc.). They want to pump toxic smoke into the sky, the government smiles as they light a Cuban with a $20.

• CMS Author

I've heard this as well. Time will tell, but it is ironic to think that if we continue to lose jobs to China, we'll also lose the income to buy their exports. As far as I know, the US is China's largest export market, and I've also heard that losing it would utterly cripple their economy. Fine by me.

• Moderators

It is not just cheap labor, it is the lack of any restrictions on what they do (i.e. OSHA, EPA, etc.). They want to pump toxic smoke into the sky, the government smiles as they light a Cuban with a $20.

If the trends I've witnessed first hand in the Chinese legal markets are indicative, these won't be issues for long.

• Members

I've heard this as well. Time will tell, but it is ironic to think that if we continue to lose jobs to China, we'll also lose the income to buy their exports.
As far as I know, the US is China's largest export market, and I've also heard that losing it would utterly cripple their economy. Fine by me.

I don't either country would do that great if that happened.

• Members

OK. Let's see now. How many stable countries are their in sub-sahara Africa?

If they can't deliver oil reliably what makes you think they can deliver advanced semiconductors?

We're talking about future markets...

Anyway, even today there are 42 Sub-Saharan countries...They're not all a Sierra Leone or a Sudan...

• Members

I have always wondered why automated factories aren't all located in the West. More automation = less labor cost per unit.

As transportation costs rise for both shipping raw materials and finished goods, transportation will become any ever increasing part of total product cost.

From strategic point of view, it is incredibly stupid to allow the production of our most advanced technologies by a potential adversary.

• Members

I have always wondered why automated factories aren't all located in the West. More automation = less labor cost per unit.

Because there are still people who work and service the machines...

Cutting your workforce by 75% doesn't help when the remaining 25% earn 10 times as much (or more)...

Archived