Bergantino's Active Cabs

T. Alan Smith

• Members

Anyone have any experience with these? My interest is twofold. I'm more interested in the 3x10 & 2x12 configs than I am in the 6x10, 2x15, 2x10 or 4x10 configs. I've been thinking about going separate pre/power setup, so I could collect pres for different colors. It occurred to me that going with an active box would give me a power amp perfectly matched to the cab. My concern is the weight tho.

But I'm just wondering if anybody's got any input here. :)

• Members

There's mucho threads about these on TB, which I'm sure you already knew. :)

IME, I've played two-

one at a music store in Austin and it sounded ok, and two at a gig in Austin where we were opening. I was using my old chechen 97 Q5, and he had a Fishman preamp running into it, and everytime I touched the B string the thing would immediately fart out. He played this nice Yammy 6, and it didn't do it, so I donno, it was weird.

I can say that it's VERY temperamental, depending on what you throw in front of it. For the scratch, I wouldn't buy one but that's just me. :)

• Members

There's mucho threads about these on TB, which I'm sure you already knew.
:)

IME, I've played two-

one at a music store in Austin and it sounded ok, and two at a gig in Austin where we were opening. I was using my old chechen 97 Q5, and he had a Fishman preamp running into it, and everytime I touched the B string the thing would immediately fart out. He played this nice Yammy 6, and it didn't do it, so I donno, it was weird.

I can say that it's VERY temperamental, depending on what you throw in front of it. For the scratch, I wouldn't buy one but that's just me.

Thanks for offering your experience. For the $$$, it'd best be flawless. :p

I really wish they were still available in passive configs. Maybe they will someday. Afterall, he reintroduced the NV series. Doing 'em with neo drivers in that new cabinet would rawk. :)

• Members

Yeah it just is a LOT of money for what it is, albeit a pretty cool and useful idea if you can get by with just a single 112.

I mean really, if all you need is a 112 for gigs and you have any type of monitoring setup, I'd spend my money on a nice active monitor and sweet DI or preamp and just go right in.

Course I lug around a 200+ lb. Mesa rig if you count both cabs and the rack to most gigs, so I've never really been the "compact" kinda guy. :)

• Members

Yeah it just is a LOT of money for what it is, albeit a pretty cool and useful idea if you can get by with just a single 112.

I mean really, if all you need is a 112 for gigs and you have any type of monitoring setup, I'd spend my money on a nice active monitor and sweet DI or preamp and just go right in.

Course I lug around a 200+ lb. Mesa rig if you count both cabs and the rack to most gigs, so I've never really been the "compact" kinda guy.

Well, I've already got my compact rig for small thru medium gigs. This would be medium to large gigs. That's why I was looking at the 2x12 & 3x10. Besides the cost, the added weight to a larger cab could be a pain. I just thought that it might make for a more elegant solution with a 2 space rack with only a preamp mounted in.

• Members

Well, I've already got my compact rig for small thru medium gigs. This would be medium to large gigs. That's why I was looking at the 2x12 & 3x10. Besides the cost, the added weight to a larger cab could be a pain. I just thought that it might make for a more elegant solution with a 2 space rack with only a preamp mounted in.

Then I would say definitely check into it. Wasn't sure which models you meant, but the larger ones hopefully would be able to handle more.

The 3x10 even piqued my interest when they first came out. :)

I just was not overly impressed w/ the 112.

• Members

Like RSB says, by all accounts the inputs on those amps are about the most tempermental around. It seems like the worst setup for preamp swapping.

My savings account thanks you. :D

I want to h0ld off anyway.

I should try to find a neo 410 to try out. :evil:

• Members

I was highly impressed by the IP112. I drove it with a prototype Berg line driver so I didn't have any issues with it. It was louder and reproduced a low B better than any single 12 I've ever encountered. But at the end of the day, it's just a single 12. Bottom line: If a 112 cabinet works for you right now, the IP112 will certainly work. If I already owned a HT112, I don't think I'd bother with the IP, though. I do wonder why Jim hasn't gone with a fully active system. I also wonder about the input issues. It shouldn't be too hard to design a pretty universal input stage.:confused:

I still love the sound of Bergantino cabs though and Jim's a great guy to boot.

• Members

I was highly impressed by the IP112. I drove it with a prototype Berg line driver so I didn't have any issues with it. It was louder and reproduced a low B better than any single 12 I've ever encountered. But at the end of the day, it's just a single 12. Bottom line: If a 112 cabinet works for you right now, the IP112 will certainly work. If I already owned a HT112, I don't think I'd bother with the IP, though. I do wonder why Jim hasn't gone with a fully active system. I also wonder about the input issues. It shouldn't be too hard to design a pretty universal input stage.
:confused:

I still love the sound of Bergantino cabs though and Jim's a great guy to boot.

...which is why I'd like to stick w/Bergs. :love:

Yeah, I plan on keeping my HT112 for my small thru medium gigs.

• Members

DETAILS PLEASE!!

My coverband is going to be practicing at Bass Specialties that night, and I can plug anything into anything there.

GB, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergie, ect.

The place is amazing. Any bass players that live within 3 hours of Philly need to drive out and check this place out. The last time I was there they had 7 different Roscoes hanging on the wall.

• Members

My coverband is going to be practicing at Bass Specialties that night, and I can plug anything into anything there.

GB, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergie, ect.

The place is amazing. Any bass players that live within 3 hours of Philly need to drive out and check this place out. The last time I was there they had 7 different Roscoes hanging on the wall.

Very cool! Let me know what you think of the Bergie stuff and how it compares. If you can compare different Bergie cabs, even better. ;)

Archived