Bass processors

seilerbird

• Members

I have been playing guitar for over 40 years and just last week I bought my first bass guitar. I got a no-name copy of a Beatle Bass for $100 new on eBay and I got a Crate 100 watt 15 inch speaker amp for $167. For less than $300 it sounds killer. I have been using guitar processors since they first hit the market and could not imagine playing guitar without one. So naturally I went shopping for a bass processor. I have played a few and I don't like them. They make some cool sounds, that's for sure, but I prefer running the bass straight into the amp with all the controls set for as bassy a sound as I can get. The amp has a distortion channel and an octave control and I use neither. I simply use the bass pickup run into the clean channel with all the amp controls set as bassy as possible. This gives me the gigantic heavy bass sound I love.

So my question is do most bass players use a processor or just run straight into their amp? If you do use a processor then which one and why?

photo?authkey=M_y-1HLkmMU#51650640016353

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Members

Most guys run straight into the amp.

I would say that more guys use individual pedals than processors, but the ones that do use procs mostly use a Boss GT-6B or POD XTL...there are a few others as well, but they are the most common.

I use pedals. I think they sound better than a proc. I think they are easier to use as well...and they look cool! :)

• Members

I am seriously gassing for a Gt-6b at the moment. Heh.

I think a lot of people like the analog effects, but I can't be bothered. Digital sounds fine for a lot of things. Chorus is pretty cool.

Something I am concerned about is how good the digital compression is, but I know nothing about that :)

For me, it's mostly distortion that sounds like {censored} digital, so I'll keep my MXR pedal in the loop and use it for distortion if I need it.

Anyway, yeah most people plug straight in. that's what I do 99% of the time. However, a lot of times I find myself jonesing for a little chorus or flange, or some synthy type sounds, and I can't do them. Multi-effects seems the only way to affordably get what I want :p

• Members

I've been playing bass and guitar for about 20 years now. On guitar, I would run through a processor or DMA for all the rock stuff, but straight to the amp for blues (with a single OD pedal thrown in between).

On bass, I never use a processor, as I love the "clean" sound I get from my active electronics. My rig is set up with only a compressor in the effects loop, set to nearly transparent. (mostly to even out the loud notes, and provide a slight bit of sustain)

There's a ton of good tones you can get without a processor, just by adjusting the eq, and which pickup you are on.

Here's a tip if you join up with a band - less low frequencies, and more mids. At low volumes, that bass knob cranked sounds nice - but when you start playing at band volumes, even with large cabinets, too much low makes all your notes just sound the same. You won't be able to hear your runs, though you'll feel them. Boosting the mids will make every note you play much more audible. Of course retaining a good tone is a balancing act. Small tweaks.

• Members

Here's a tip if you join up with a band - less low frequencies, and more mids. At low volumes, that bass knob cranked sounds nice - but when you start playing at band volumes, even with large cabinets, too much low makes all your notes just sound the same. You won't be able to hear your runs, though you'll feel them. Boosting the mids will make every note you play much more audible. Of course retaining a good tone is a balancing act. Small tweaks.

I don't think there is any chance of me joining a band. I am a free lance photographer and I live in my van. I have been traveling around the country for the last 5 years and I am never in the same place longer than a month. I would love to be in a band and if I ever did settle down and join a band it would be as a lead guitarist.

• Members

Read: Paparazzi

:p

You must know who I am. At the Grand Canyon I am called a Condor Paparazzi since I spend so much time photographing the condors. Amazing birds to watch and photograph in flight. Other than that 99% of what I photograph is birds and animals. If you would like to see my Joe Bonamassa photos then go here":

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1890450

• Members

I just ordered a new head. Ampeg SVT-VR. I gave up on trying to find an original. I was scared ordering something fron Ebay and sending alot of cash with playing it first. I might be selling some of the stuff listed below too if anyones interested.

What does this have to do with bass processors? :)

You have to let me know how that thing sounds. I've been thinking about grabbing one myself...

• Members

What does this have to do with bass processors?
:)

You have to let me know how that thing sounds. I've been thinking about grabbing one myself...

It has absolutely nothing to do with it! lmao!!! I started to think about my new head as I was reading this one, got distracted at work and didn't realize that I hadn't started a new thread! lol!!! :freak::freak::lol::lol:

• Members

I use a Pod XT Live (floor board). I love it. I ran straight into the amp for years, but I wanted more control as I DI before the amp. I use it mainly as a pre/eq with the amp models. But I use a few effects on it as well.

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif

Ditto I use Compression and Amp Models all the time. I use synth bass on Tainted Love and Leslie on Blood and Roses. I do love the tones, turner and volume pedal.

• Members

Ditto I use Compression and Amp Models all the time. I use synth bass on Tainted Love and Leslie on Blood and Roses. I do love the tones, turner and volume pedal.

I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of the compressor on there. It's not bad, just not on par with the Presonus I was using. I just moved it out of my rack to use in my studio. I may end up getting another one. The compressor is good, just doesn't sustain like the Presonus.

Archived