country songs with cool basslines

B-Bottom

• Members

I dunno. The Eagles always had a lot of country flavor to them. I always thought of them as country rock, not a rock band.

Probably fair to call them country rock over all, but stuff like Outlaw Man and Witchy Woman always seemed more like rock to me, and they were played on rock stations. Desperado is their only tune I remember hearing on a country station.

• Moderators

Probably fair to call them country rock over all, but stuff like Outlaw Man and Witchy Woman always seemed more like rock to me, and they were played on rock stations. Desperado is their only tune I remember hearing on a country station.

I agree about Witchy Woman. Loved that song, but it made everything else I heard form them sound like country. I'm not familiar with Outlaw Man. I also didn't listen to country radio, so I've no idea what got played there.

Later on, especially after Joe Walsh joined, they sounded more like a rock band to me. In The City, from "The Warriors" doesn't sound at all country to me. Nor does Get Over It, but that's a lot later. Overall, I don't think anyone can argue that they didn't have one foot on each side of the country/rock line.

• Members

Anything by the Red Dirt guys, they usually have some serious musicians if it's just a solo act, and most of the actual bands have good lineups...

Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, Eli Young Band... the guys for Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, Brandon Rhyder, Dierks Bentley and Jason Aldean are all pretty solid.

There's usually some good basslines in country- trick is just hearing it. :)

• Members

You're halfway there!!!
:D
Amarillo Highway was originally recorded by Terry Allen. That version is kick ass.

:thu:

We usually "Guzzlerize" songs when they become assimilated(i.e. we do a rockabilly-sounding version of Your Cheatin' Heart).

Exceptions are made for songs like:

Silver Wings

Bottle Let Me Down

Folsum Prison

Jack Daniels If You Please

Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean

etc.

• Members

Awe my brother, you've come to the right place!! :lol: There's alot of very cool lines. Let me list a few! "Blacktop road" and "Days go by" (Keith Urban) "Feelin like that "( I think that's by Gary Allen) "Livin in Fast forward" Kenny Chesney) "Red dirt road" and "Hillbilly delux" ( Brooks and Dunn) "Me and my gang" and "Life is a highway" (Rascal flatts). Check out the cool bass lines from the Life is a highway from the movie cars. Especially the little bass riffs before and after the guitar solo. With modern country, first is that you have to have a really good knowledge of your fretboard. Also, although there are really no difficult techniques, it's very groove oriented. ANd there is a smooth gliding style that is required to make it sound authentic. How many ways can you make the same series of notes sound. So you may be hitting the same notes, but does it sound right? ALthough it may not be really difficult to play, it takes some practice to emulate their style. Good luck bro!

• Members

:love:

But seriously, is that song really country?

That's a common misconception. Yes, it is country. I'm a country musician, and it has changed significantly over the years. It's just not 1-5 anymore. It surprises me that people expect county music to remain stagnate while all other styles evolve.

• Members

That's a common misconception. Yes, it is country. I'm a country musician, and it has changed significantly over the years. It's just not 1-5 anymore. It surprises me that people expect county music to remain stagnate while all other styles evolve.

+11.

It's a lot tougher to just fly-in and nail a country gig if you don't know the songs anymore. The Numbers system works alright, but if you're doing stuff in the last 5~ years, better have rehearsed at least some!

I did a cover country gig this summer/fall, and it taught me a lot.

• Moderators

As I said, it sounded like disco to me.

What makes a song country?

• Members

I'm serious. You said it was country. What makes it so?

Ok you found out Sherlock. Now I'm serious too! It's a conspiracy to bring back disco disguising it as country. Happy now. Just curious as to why you have your tighty whities in such a knot over what is and what is not country music. :confused: I guess that CMT is now going to have to change their name to DMT!

• Moderators

Ok you found out Sherlock. Now I'm serious too! It's a conspiracy to bring back disco disguising it as country. Happy now. Just curious as to why you have your tighty whities in such a knot over what is and what is not country music.
:confused:
I guess that CMT is now going to have to change their name to DMT!

Sorry to burst your bubble, doc, but I'm not upset about this, I'm curious. You said, flat out, that it was country music. Based on that, I thought you might have something to say on why it was, and what makes it so. Guess I read too much into your statement.

Anybody else have an opinion on what makes country music country music? way2fat has one idea, but I dunno. Set the lyrics to jazz chords and a tango beat and it isn't going to sound like country to me. I think it's something in the music itself.

• Members
Sorry to burst your bubble, doc, but I'm not upset about this,

No need to apologize. You didn't "burst my bubble" Why would you think that I would take pleasure in you to be upset about this? Or why I would even care for that matter. A question was asked about cool country riffs so that someone could expand their style. Alot of people had really good ideas. You made unnecessary derogatory comments. I do not see the relevance or helpfulness of your replies. Other than to bash something that you do not like. You're a moderator huh? Very unmoderator type behavior. Interesting.

• Members

Ok you found out Sherlock. Now I'm serious too! It's a conspiracy to bring back disco disguising it as country. Happy now. Just curious as to why you have your tighty whities in such a knot over what is and what is not country music.
:confused:
I guess that CMT is now going to have to change their name to DMT!

I dont think he was being snide. I tend to agree that the elements that make country 'country' arent really there as much as what makes it pop/rock.

THere's no story, there's no country/rural pathos, there's little steel nor fiddle that are more than just sonic adornments, etc.

What makes country 'country' is the foundation behind it. Be it in either the message of ____ or the structural familiarity that transcends time.

To me the most country you can get is right here:

[YOUTUBE]M_-3OSTO6zA[/YOUTUBE]

Incidentally, it was Chris Knight who wrote this hit for Monkey Gentry. Take a listen to how much more desperate it is:

[YOUTUBE]soWnLoWcr_k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Maybe he didn't. Maybe he did. Sometimes text does not do a good job at translating emotion. He wants an answer. Well here goes. Ok. The song in question, by the way I luv that tune, was written by Nashville country song writers, and played by Nashville country studio musicians, and sung by a Nashville star, Trace Adkins, who is signed by a nashville country record company, Trace is from the South, has a southern accent, his influences are old time country stars, he's had tradedy in his life, his brother's recent death, former run- ns with the law, addiction problems. The song is played on country music radio stations, and can be found in the country music section in record stores, ect, ect, ect. What makes anything anything? Today I don't see music catogories as cut and dry as they once were. Most modern music has incorporated other musical influences and if he hears a disco type thing going on in that song, well maybe he does, and maybe there is. Remember the band Anthrax. Are they not a metal band because they've done some rapping in their songs. Maybe a 2008 Chevy isn't really a Chevy because it has foreign parts in it now-a-days. Maybe what is deemed country music is no longer "Hee-Haw" music but there would be no modern metal, for example, if say Metallica hadn't integrated and changed music from the 50's, 60's, 70's ect. It would just be a reiteration of what has already been done. Now that would be boring. :thu:

• Moderators

Sorry to burst your bubble, doc, but I'm not upset about this,

No need to apologize. You didn't "burst my bubble" Why would you think that I would take pleasure in you to be upset about this? Or why I would even care for that matter. A question was asked about cool country riffs so that someone could expand their style. Alot of people had really good ideas. You made unnecessary derogatory comments. I do not see the relevance or helpfulness of your replies. Other than to bash something that you do not like. You're a moderator huh? Very unmoderator type behavior. Interesting.

I made no derogatory comments. I merely expressed my opinion that it sounded like disco to me. You're the one - the only one, as far as I can tell - who got upset.

• Members

Lots of cool stuff, especially in the days before the Fender Precision came onto the scene. "King of the Road" by Roger Miller has a great bassline. Lots of Ray Price stuff has walking basslines, like "Crazy Arms" and "City Lights."

This is a little bit later (1970's), but the Johnny Paycheck tune "The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised" has a great little funky bass part at the beginning.

• Members

........ Set the lyrics to jazz chords and a tango beat and it isn't going to sound like country to me. I think it's something in the music itself.

Interesting comment that is going to make me change my opinion. It's NOT just the lyrics; I should have remembered that from Run C&W, who played Motown hits Bluegrass style. The reason it worked so well is because both genres are full of songs about leaving the South to go to work in the North.

Archived