SWR Redhead

REMUS

• Members

I've read quite a few accounts of speaker damage, speaker failure, speakers blowing up etc in the redhead combos, the cabs seem to be great but I dunno what they did to the combo's speakers.

Nearly everyone I've seen used has had at least 1 replacement driver.

From what I've heard tho', they do sound good, but as you say, they're pretty expensive. For similar money, I'd go with an EBS or Glock combo. Saying that, the Markbass combos are really nice, but I don't like their cabs, which is a bit weird:freak:

Why don't you just go for a 210 cab, and put something like a GK400RB on top of it or a Little MarkII?

• Members

The only thing that I know is that at Bass Central in Orlando, there is one SWR Redhead combo that I've played each one of the three basses I've owned through before making my purchase. I don't know what magic is in that one particular amp, but it's got it.

I have never actually seen another SWR Redhead "in the field" to compare, though.

• Members

I have two BagEnd's 1x15 and either a Peavey Max 700 or an Ashdown Superfly for the bigger gigs. Great sound. But I have the SWR Silverado Special (2x12's) for smaller gigs. Every single time I plug into the SWR I wonder why-oh-why do I ever play through anything else!!! Amazing tone. I have owned mine for seven years with no down time. Great amp. Discontinued. :(

Actually, Clatter Amy has the Redhead as part of her stage show. Shoot her an email about it.

• Members

Someone tell me why it's special or i'll bite your knee caps off :mad:

Can you tell me what features it has which sets it apart, what is it that makes it comparable to combos with the same sort of price tag such as the Glockenklang Soul Combo - detailed, hi-fi, deep (perhaps the best solid state gear out?) and Markbass CMD 102P - new, light and powerful (very good re-sale value atm as well).

• Members

Someone tell me why it's special or i'll bite your knee caps off
:mad:

The one i played had a really good midrange frequency that it seemd to accentuate and it was doing a slight growling gritty thing. It needed the right bass to do it, but that's how I ended up two of those basses home and one through mail order over the past 5 years.

• Members

They just sound good. Every one that I have ever played through sounds like a much bigger amp than a 2X10. It's the only SWR amp that I like. They're not small...they're not light...but they sound good.

I'm talking about the Super Redhead though...and I will own one eventually.

I was thinking about pairing it with my 6x10 for full on grunt, and on it's own for smaller stuff. Since the more I read, it seems the speaker surface area counts for more than amp output?

80 lbs isn't too bad...

• Members

They have a great modern hi-fi sound. Lots of punch-you-in-your-chest thump.

They lack the deep whooomp thump, though.

I think that's why you see so many with speaker damage. People really bump up the low freqs. and make the speakers really work hard in an area of the spectrum for which the cab wasn't designed.

• Members

I think that's why you see so many with speaker damage. People really bump up the low freqs. and make the speakers really work hard in an area of the spectrum for which the cab wasn't designed.

+1. The last one I played through had both speakers replaced.

• Members

i owned and gigged with a swr super redhead for 5 years. i made strings and things in memphis hold it for me so i could make the drive up there to buy it. nobody else had one. when i played on it, i was totally amazed at the sound of it. it is absolutely the best sounding combo i have ever played through. it does bring out your tone and has all the power you will ever need. i had a 15" cabinet under mine. i did however have to replace the speakers. like mentioned above i believe the 2x10's isnt enough to get that deep down bottom people expect. after the 15" cabinet under it, i never had another problem. i dont know what happened, but over time(5years) something happened to the sound of it. it just didnt have that sweetness it once did. i went to a gk700rbii after that. bottom line for me is, the super redhead is the best combo on the market. but now, i would get the gk 2x10 combo with the 700 or 1000rbii in it. just a money thing though.

• Members

i owned and gigged with a swr super redhead for 5 years. i made strings and things in memphis hold it for me so i could make the drive up there to buy it. nobody else had one. when i played on it, i was totally amazed at the sound of it. it is absolutely the best sounding combo i have ever played through. it does bring out your tone and has all the power you will ever need. i had a 15" cabinet under mine. i did however have to replace the speakers. like mentioned above i believe the 2x10's isnt enough to get that deep down bottom people expect. after the 15" cabinet under it, i never had another problem. i dont know what happened, but over time(5years) something happened to the sound of it. it just didnt have that sweetness it once did. i went to a gk700rbii after that. bottom line for me is, the super redhead is the best combo on the market. but now, i would get the gk 2x10 combo with the 700 or 1000rbii in it. just a money thing though.

I have owned the 700rb-ii before, what are the main differences?

• Members

I can run it with either my GS212 or Goliath Snr, that should spread the load move evenly and prevent tears.

Out of curiosity, any ideas what are the best replacement speakers I can get for about $400-600?

Archived