Hi. I bought a bass,

DaveH

• Members

and I need recommendations for strings.:)

I've played guitar for 40 years, but I've always felt bass.

Sooo,....I finally got a bass, a Squire fretless, to learn on.

I assume flat wound strings, but what are my choices.

I also need a small amp for practice&recording, I doubt I'll be playing bass at a gig any time soon.

Any other tips or suggestions?:cool:

• Members

or D'addario Hartke work exquisite for me. but depending on the bass, bridge and such. I play a MIA Fender j/p and those work excellent. last long with great tone. but can be tinny for some basses. Amp wise. that also depends. what sound yuou want and what you want to pay. i suggest to get a used one at a music store. maybe $100.00 for a 10" about 35 watts would suffice. just make sure that it doesn't look too old. hope this helps:thu:

• Members

Any other tips or suggestions?
:cool:

...Once You start getting fairly comfortable with your intonation on the fretless, practice in the the dark so you don't rely on visual cues, use the open strings to check how off you are, this was a tremendous help to me when I was mainly a fretless player.

• Members

Why would you assume flats?
:confused:

I don't think I have ever heard round wounds on a fretless? Maybe I have?

My main music style runs to blues/jazz/funk. Fretless bass has always been my favorite sound.

Thanks for the replies!:thu:

• Members

My main music style runs to blues/jazz/funk. Fretless bass has always been my favorite sound.

Thanks for the replies!
:thu:

Rounds would definitely be more harsh on the fretboard but I know a few players who do it. Beyond that, I have nothing to add, I've never owned a fretless.

• Members

Check out rounds and flats both. Rounds will be brighter, but will eat up your fingerboard faster. Having said that, I think most fretless players prefer rounds.

I'm a flats guy, for my fretless and my '62 Jazz reissue at least. I'm pretty happy with webstrings for both types of strings www.webstrings.com

As for an amp, look for a used combo, at least 100 watts. Fender, Ampeg. Yorkville, Peavey,Ashdown and GK are all good choices, among others.

Welcome to the Dark Side, by the way! :wave:

• Members

Thanks for the replies!
:thu:

I can't name any big player off the top of my head that has recorded a fretless with flats regularly. Who do you think of when you think of fretless tone?

• Members

I just bought the same Squire bass, which is also the first fretless I've owned, so don't have any real sage advice. Though, I did grab some flats after a week of playing, as I saw that my playing style, combined with the factory rounds were making some pretty gnarly markings on the fretboard. Actually, that and the fact that I never played flatwounds outside of a guitar shop (I'm really not that concerned about the longevity of this bass, lol).

BTW, Max Maroon has a great tip in the post, above!

I just started a Warmoth bass project, and I went with an unlined fretless neck. Now, I've played a lot of unlined fretless basses in guitar shops, and felt pretty confident about my intonation as I was always in tune with the position I was in. Then I finally brought that Squire home, and tried to play along with songs I've known for years, the way I do with my fretted basses (from eyes-closed-rocking-out, to the hypnotized blank staring), and found myself having to keep my eyes on that lined fretboard for every change. Very humbling.

Anyway, I've only had mine a few weeks, but I've gotten better thanks to suggestions like Max's. Also, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Gary Willis' book 101 Bass Tips. There's not only a lot of general bass topics, but some rare fretless playing tips and perspectives.

• Members

On my fretless, I use Fender stainless steel flats for two reasons: I want to limit the wear to the fingerboard as much as possible, and they give more of an upright quality to my sound. Of course, it doesn't even come close to the depth of an upright in sound, but they are definitely more thumpy (yet clear) than rounds.

• Moderators

The following is highly controversial opinion stated as fact because the poster is a jackass (don't be fooled by his "name"):

Flats are and it is inexcusable to string any electric bass with flatwound strings. There are no appropriate contexts under which any bass player should ever use flats, but the disgustitude of flats is magnified exponentially on fretless basses. Flats + fretless = anti-boalg. You might as well be yacht rocking in sandals, cargo shorts and a polo. :vomit:

• Members

and it is inexcusable to string any electric bass with flatwound strings. There are no appropriate contexts under which any bass player should ever use flats, but the disgustitude of flats is magnified exponentially on fretless basses. Flats + fretless = anti-boalg. You might as well be yacht rocking in sandals, cargo shorts and a polo. :vomit:

:rolleyes:

Archived