The Best Band Ever.....

James Hart

• Members
The Stones, Who, Kinks.

That's what sucked me into the dreadful abyss.
:lol:

:thu: I was raised on 102.7 WNEW and those 3 were staple to the station.

I was on a huge Stones kick for the last month... I had some Kinks on the other day even. Had some post Moon Who on recently as well.

• Members
:thu:
I was raised on 102.7 WNEW and those 3 were staple to the station.

I was on a huge Stones kick for the last month... I had some Kinks on the other day even. Had some post Moon Who on recently as well.

British invasion, baby. :thu:

The first American band I got into was either the Mothers of Invention or Hendrix...both right around the same time (67-68).

• Members
both right around the same time (67-68).

So my Mom and Dad have told me :p

I was born in 68... I started exploring my own tastes in music @ about 10... circa 1978. I started playing in 1980 @ 12. I come from a pretty diverse musical background. From Doo-Wop to the british invasion to jazz to soul and R&B... to disco... my folks always had music playing in our lives. Add to that my country western guitarist grandfather that scored me my first bass and a 70s fliptop :thu:

• Members

See, I've got a weird take on Sabbath. They were of course a big thing to me back in the day, when I was a heavy metal teenager in the early 70's. And I still like em alright today (in fact I'm playing in a band at the moment that includes "NIB" and "Fairies Wear Boots" in the setlist). I recognize their influence on the rest of the heavy music world. BUT......I honestly can't stand Ozzy. I mean really can't stand him. It's weird - love the band, love the music, despise the vocalist. F*cking Ozzy is a complete buffoon; the only things more irritating than his voice are him as a person and his "stage presence". And I have absolutely no use for any of his solo work.

Now..."Heaven & Hell" - oh, yeah, that I can get behind in a big way. Everything good about Sabbath, without all the Ozzy crap, and Ronnie James Dio singing to boot. Yep.

As an aside, even though I was a "heavy metal teenager" to some degree, I am with Bnyswonger in that the Who/Stones/Kinks et al. were a much bigger influence. For "metal" (at the time) I was more into Zep and Deep Purple (BIG Ritchie Blackmore fan) than Sabbath.

• Members
Yes, notorious song thieves...like everyone else. Also, they mainly didn't credit people on their first album which had a lot of blues reworkings. You could call it out-right theft or them just being naive...we weren't there when they made the album. But in their later albums who did they steal from? Where was
Kashmir
stolen from?
:D

And Sabbath having more relevance than the band that's second only to the Beatles in terms of influence....lol....good one.

OK, point out where Sabbath stole anything of theirs, please... As for later Zep theivery - how about Stairway to Heaven and Spirit??? Kashmir??? I dunno - did they do any touring with a symphony the tour before that album???

Maybe you don't, but I see WAY more of Sabbath's influence in today's rock than I do of Zeppelin's... Zep certainly sold more records, but I truly believe that Sabbath had a greater influence over modern rock, given the direction that it went in...

- georgestrings

Archived