one thing i hate about soccer.

jonathan_matos5

• Members

a game with 1 1/2 hours of play time can end in a 0-0 tie
:mad:

the highlight reel wasn't even that impressive.
:mad:

i want my hour and a half back:mad:

It will never be a dominant / popular sport in this country. I wish we would just give up on it. My city dumped so much money in a new soccer / lax stadium a few years ago. Guess what! Both franchises and the stadium are now bankrupt! Not surprising.

Oh and that Beckham guy? Has he even played since he has been here? Didn't he have a widdle boo boo for the majority of his season? Wasn't he supposed to save American soccer, bring it popularity? Maybe for the paparazzi, but not for the American sports fan.

Soccer sucks.

• Members

That's about the only thing that makes soccer watchable, and it's one of my favorite things about hockey. Say it with me:

ANTICIPATION

It isn't like basketball, where you can see 200 points scored in a game. Each individual shot in basketball means almost nothing because it's just one of dozens. Instead, in hockey and soccer, you have CHANCES. And every time one of those chances comes along and misses (through a great defensive play, or a great save by the goalie, or just the puck bouncing over a guy's stick...) the anticipation gets a little greater. Tension builds. And when the puck or ball finally goes in the net, the crowd explodes because all of that tension comes out at once.

• Members

That's about the only thing that makes soccer watchable, and it's one of my favorite things about hockey. Say it with me:

ANTICIPATION

It isn't like basketball, where you can see 200 points scored in a game. Each individual shot in basketball means almost nothing because it's just one of dozens. Instead, in hockey and soccer, you have CHANCES. And every time one of those chances comes along and misses (through a great defensive play, or a great save by the goalie, or just the puck bouncing over a guy's stick...) the anticipation gets a little greater. Tension builds. And when the puck or ball finally goes in the net, the crowd explodes because all of that tension comes out at once.

I love hockey, Sabres fan. The New Years Day game was one of the best things to happen for the sport of hockey, ever, period.

However, hockey was struggling (and still is somewhat) from low scoring and poor viewing numbers. The rule changes to the more olympic style we have now were great. IMO they should have gone all the way and increased the size of the rink. Goalies became too dominant in the '90s, when the average score was 2-1, 1-0, etc. It's nice to see scores a little higher now, more people want to watch. There is a little more goal scoring, but most games are still tight scores.

If basketball disappeared tomorrow, I don't think many people would notice. I used to be a fan when Jordan was in the leauge, but now I have no desire to watch really tall guys dunk for two hours while waiting for the last two minutes of a game to see real competition.

• Members

ANTICIPATION

hockey at least plays until someone scores though:mad: not to mention the speed of the skating and the fights:love: man i wish there was a hockey game to watch:love:

stupid tie:mad:

• Members

hockey at least plays until someone scores though:mad: not to mention the speed of the skating and the fights:love: man i wish there was a hockey game to watch:love:

stupid tie:mad:

I like the nobility of the players as well. Those guys are the most underplayed athletes in sport. They are also arguably the most hard working and conditioned athletes as well. If you put the average athlete out there from any other sport, make him skate a few shifts, he wouldn't last.

• Members

Oh and that Beckham guy? Has he even played since he has been here? Didn't he have a widdle boo boo for the majority of his season? Wasn't he supposed to save American soccer, bring it popularity? Maybe for the paparazzi, but not for the American sports fan.

Soccer sucks.

Beckham was sucked into it because of his bitch wife. I bet he's feigning injury in a hope to get kicked out and returned to Europe. He was training with Arsenal (top team in England atm) not too long ago, which shows that he really wants to be back in here, where the game is actually at a level worth playing.

Soccer in the US does suck. Over here it's great.

• Members

Beckham was sucked into it because of his bitch wife. I bet he's feigning injury in a hope to get kicked out and returned to Europe. He was training with Arsenal (top team in England atm) not too long ago, which shows that he really wants to be back in here, where the game is actually at a level worth playing.

Agreed. As with most things, I try to take a subjective point of view. If I was in Europe, I would probably catch the fever.

Regardless, for the amount of money that guy is making, he should suck it up and do what he does best.

Play.

• Members

I like the nobility of the players as well.

Which, I think, is the opposite in soccer. I don't think the players have any scruples.

Those guys are the biggest divers ever. While watching the World Cup I saw a defender come near a player who had the ball. The player with the ball immediately went down like he'd been shot by a sniper.

He rolled around on the ground grabbing his ankle. The ref had none of it. And. The fool on the ground got up and was running around in no time. Amazing powers of recovery.

Even worse. A replay showed the defender didn't even touch him. All he was doing was attempting to get a foul called.

To me. That's why soccer won't make it here. Players attempt to 'act' their way to victory, instead of earning it.

• Members

so just the Liverpool vs Chelsea game sucked:confused:

seriously passing and failed shots on the goal was all i saw:bor:

• Members

Which, I think, is the opposite in soccer. I don't think the players have any scruples.

Those guys are the biggest divers ever. While watching the World Cup I saw a defender come near a player who had the ball. The player with the ball immediately went down like he'd been shot by a sniper.

He rolled around on the ground grabbing his ankle. The ref had none of it. And. The fool on the ground got up and was running around in no time. Amazing powers of recovery.

Even worse. A replay showed the defender didn't even touch him. All he was doing was attempting to get a foul called.

To me. That's why soccer won't make it here. Players attempt to 'act' their way to victory, instead of earning it.

I agree as well. There is excessive acting in soccer.

There is in every sport, however. Even in hockey. But, if you waste time acting out a penalty in hockey, the skater is by you already, and threatening to score. You better get your ass off the ice and chase that puck down. You don't want to be known as "that guy" in hockey who gets dusted all the time while you were wasting time trying to draw sympathy from a zebra.

• Members

so just the Liverpool vs Chelsea game sucked:confused:

seriously passing and failed shots on the goal was all i saw:bor:

Yeah, that was a pretty rubbish game actually, I'm a Liverpool supporter. They happen from time to time.

However, the good games are awsome :thu:

• Members

Defending soccer in the US is a painful thing to try. I've played all my life and love the game, but I fully understand why it doesn't translate here. That said, it's one thing not to enjoy the sport, but it's another to act as if it's utter crap. For example, I dislike the music of Rush, but I recognize it's merits...it's just not for me.

• Members

I LOVE soccer, and would still be playing if I hadn't torn my second ACL.

Some of the issues that make soccer a hard sell in the U.S. -

1) Unlike most popular American sports, there are no stops, no timeouts, no breaks between plays, etc. Americans like to discuss options as the game unfolds, but there isn't really time for that, and the game seems chaotic for that reason.

2) There are a lot of subtle changes throughout the game, which makes it hard for a beginning viewer to understand. This is somewhat aggravated because American TV directors insist on shooting the game a little too tight. Part of understanding the game is seeing more of the field, and seeing the players who don't have the ball. Another bad habit is trying to show a "hero shot" close-up of a player while play is still progressing elsewhere on the field. It's not basketball, where the teams proceed up the court at a common pace.

Some subtle changes are recognized by familiarity, and some from understanding the game well, which is not nearly as likely for American audiences, given their often less-than-a-lifetime spent following the game.

3) Another issue is diving and fouling. I personally hate diving, but I know it is going to happen. The ref does, too. Every sport has fouls, called and uncalled, and diving as well.

4) Americans do not seem to understand that, when a soccer player gets hurt, and they do, that he stays on the ground as long as he can because that is usually the only time he gets to recover. He can't get subbed and return to the game. If he has to leave the field, and his team wants him back in the game, his team has to play short a man until the ref allows him back on. He can't run 75 yards, step off for a hit of oxygen, and come back a couple plays later.

5) The players must coach themselves, there is no time for a coach to call in plays or formations, and usually no way to decide where and when to start one. Free kicks are the lone exception, but the players still must implement the play themselves, and each must know his assigned role. Again, this adds to the chaos thing.

Archived