Shooting on NIU campus

bassman1956

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LanEvo clearly has read the entire US Constitution and understands it. I'd bet he's read the Federalist Papers as well.

;)

That's a big 10-4, good buddy. I've read lots of Cesare Beccaria, too. Much of the wording of the Amendments comes almost verbatim from his Of Crimes and Punishments.

Too bad so few Americans seem to understand the basis upon which our nation was founded.

• Members

Too bad so few Americans seem to understand the basis upon which our nation was founded.

True.

I honestly believe that most politicians in Washington, DC (from the President on down) have not actually read the entire Constitution nor have they studied the Federalist Papers. If they had, and they actually believed the oath of office that they took, then we would not be in the mess we are in today.

• Members

I'd don't have any idea either.
:)

I don't mind being tough to figure out as long as it isn't because of inconsistencies.

I don't mind inconsistencies, as long as they are the result of my growth in a certain area.

See, that's another aspect of human nature that I feel has been demeaned through politics - this concept of "flip-flopping" on "issues".

If people are afraid of "flip-flopping", then they will never be open to new viewpoints, or new factual information which could cause a change in opinion.

So I will proudly "flip-flop" on an "issue" as a result of knowledge obtained through a debate or other means.

More politicians should do the same. :thu:

• Moderators
I honestly believe that most politicians in Washington, DC (from the President on down) have not actually read the entire Constitution nor have they studied the Federalist Papers. If they had, and they actually believed the oath of office that they took, then we would not be in the mess we are in today.

While I would agree, that would have had to occur a long time ago before big money got involved in campaigns and fancy health care and huge retirement plans were in the mix of being a lawmaker for life. Even if they've all read the Constitution it doesn't mean they wouldn't interpret it differently. That's what the SCOTUS is for. I'm more bothered that most legislators/politicians appear to be more interested in getting bridges named after themselves than they are serving the US.

• Moderators

So I will proudly "flip-flop" on an "issue" as a result of knowledge obtained through a debate or other means.

More politicians should do the same.
:thu:

So do you really want to get swift-boated out of this thread, flip-flopper?:p

I agree with your posting. Where "flip-flopping" is a problem, IMO, is that politicians are simply not honest and up front as to why they changed their opinion. I certainly have changed my opinion of certain things from age 25 to 40.

Archived