Shooting on NIU campus

bassman1956

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CNN scoop:

(CNN) -- A person who shot at least 17 people Thursday at Northern Illinois University's DeKalb campus outside Chicago has died, a law enforcement official tells CNN.

Many victims were shot in the head, said Theresa Comitas, spokeswoman for Kishwaukee Community Hospital, about 10 minutes from the school.

At least three victims are in critical condition, eight are in stable condition and six are in good condition, a hospital official tells CNN.

One of the wounded was transferred by helicopter to Rockford Hospital, she said. There were no fatalities at the hospital, she said.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the DeKalb County coroner's office said no fatalities had been immediately reported.

• Members

A person who shot at least 17 people Thursday at Northern Illinois University's DeKalb campus outside Chicago has died, a law enforcement official tells CNN.

Ambulances line up at Northern Illinois University after a shooting.

1 of 2 Many victims were shot in the head, said Theresa Comitas, spokeswoman for Kishwaukee Community Hospital, about 10 minutes from the school.

At least three victims are in critical condition, eight are in stable condition and six are in good condition, a hospital official tells CNN.

One of the wounded was transferred by helicopter to Rockford Hospital, she said. There were no fatalities at the hospital, she said.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the DeKalb County coroner's office said no fatalities had been immediately reported.

At 4 p.m. (5 p.m. ET), the school said there was no further danger and that counselors would be made available.

A law enforcement official being briefed on the situation told CNN that the shooter used at least one shotgun. The official declined to be identified further because the incident was still developing.

Kevin Mcenery said he witnessed the shooting.

Don't Miss

WQAD: See local coverage of shooting

WLS: More local coverage of shooting

The gunman "just kicked the door open, just started shooting. All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling get out," he said.

"Close to 30 shots were fired."

"He was wearing a black shirt, dark pants, black hat. ... He started with a shotgun, then turned to a pistol."

Rosie Moroni, a student at the school, told CNN she was outside Cole Hall near the King Commons at 2:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. ET) when she heard shots coming from the classroom she had intended to enter.

The shot was followed by "a lot of people screaming," then people ran out the doors yelling, "He's got a gun, call 9-1-1," she said.

"It was complete chaos ... it's very scary here right now."

"It has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," the school said in the posting on its DeKalb campus Web site. "All classes are canceled on the DeKalb campus. People are urged not to come to campus."

Friday classes also are canceled at the school's DeKalb campus.

"All NIU students are asked to call their parents as soon as possible," the school said in a posting.

The 113-year-old school is 65 miles west of downtown Chicago and has an enrollment of more than 25,000. The campus covers 755 acres.

A spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told CNN that some of its agents were already on the scene to assist.

He said ATF agents could help trace the weapon or weapons used.

An FBI spokesman said several of that agency's agents were en route to the scene to assist.

A woman named Corrine described the scene to CLTV, saying she was "carried out" of Cole Hall by a "wave" of students running for their lives.

"When one of the kids said, 'This guy is shooting!' I just ran to the next building as fast as I could and hid in an empty classroom

• Members

I actually worry about this happening at my college sometimes. I know it is unlikely, but you just never know. I have met some pretty crazy and {censored}ed up people at my university that I fear would and could do something like this. Hell, we had four rape cases just last semester alone. :(

• Members

I actually worry about this happening at my college sometimes. I know it is unlikely, but you just never know. I have met some pretty crazy and {censored}ed up people at my university that I fear would and could do something like this. Hell, we had four rape cases just last semester alone.
:(

well you do go to WSU.

:p

• Members

I say we get all the people that are going to do things like this and put em on a T.V. gameshow. We get a HUGE set like the size of a city and let them just have fun and get points for the most original death/murder/suicides. And the one with the most points at the end get's a carton of cigarrettes.

• Members

I live about 20 miles from NIU.

Un-{censored}ing believable! Very nice campus! I took the Illinois Ethics Bar there before my admission to the Illinois Bar, via reciprocity from Indiana. Couple of great bars with great live entertainment!

Very sad that places that represent the greatest amount of freedom have become places of death and despair!

Prayers to all the families of the victims.

Apparently, rationale has taken a vacation. God, I feel Ill!!!!

Going to drink myself stupid and sleep.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better........

All we really have is each other. Be kind to each other!

PD

Archived