OT: ...and the winner is....... Blu- Ray!!!!!!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

Toshiba to pull plug on HD format!

Toshiba Expected to Drop HD DVD?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

February 15, 2008

The Hollywood Reporter says reliable industry sources are telling the trade that Toshiba is expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May. Here are several clips from the article:

Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," she said.

But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

But in the end, sources say, the substantial loss Toshiba is incurring with each HD DVD player sold -- a figure sources say could be as high as several hundred dollars -- coupled with a series of high-profile retail defections has driven the company to at last concede defeat.

"An announcement is coming soon," said one source close to the HD DVD camp. "It could be a matter of weeks."

Sony finally did something right with a video format!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Toshiba to pull plug on HD format!

Toshiba Expected to Drop HD DVD?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

February 15, 2008

The Hollywood Reporter says reliable industry sources are telling the trade that Toshiba is expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May. Here are several clips from the article:

Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," she said.

But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

But in the end, sources say, the substantial loss Toshiba is incurring with each HD DVD player sold -- a figure sources say could be as high as several hundred dollars -- coupled with a series of high-profile retail defections has driven the company to at last concede defeat.

"An announcement is coming soon," said one source close to the HD DVD camp. "It could be a matter of weeks."

Sony finally did something right with a video format!!!

Sony finally did something right? The Betamax was superior to VHS, Sony just lost out in marketing.

• Members

Hmm. I'm glad I've been holding off on an HD DVD player. I guess I'll be getting a PS3 sometime this year.

Same here. I just bought a 24" LCD for my computer which also has HDMI-inputs. I'm going to use it with my Mac, and with a PS3 which I am going to buy as soon as my L2K sells.

• Members

Sony finally did something right? The Betamax was superior to VHS, Sony just lost out in marketing.

.....And your statement changes my point how????

Beta= Superior format, No one Bought

8mm= superior format, portable, but beat out by VHS-C

Mini DV= superior format, beat out by Digital cameras

Minidisc= Duperior format beat out by hard disc recording..

Seeing a trend here?

• Members

Minidisc= Duperior format beat out by hard disc recording..

Minidisc was only recently beat out by flash recorders for journalists, who used (and still use) the format for 10 years or better. It was never mainstream, but used in some film production for audio capture, as well. And with the ATRAC conversion, it was only really ever superior to cassette or microcassette.

Just sayin'...

• Members

A lot of people bought Hi-8 and Digital-8 formats. Available until fairly recently. Good consumer format.

What do you mean beat out by digital cameras? Do you mean HDD recording on video cams? At any rate, MiniDV is used a lot today in the prosumer/amateur/broadcast video areas. Cheap tape that provides an easily stored video library. We use it here at work. The consumer HD format HDV is based off it with better compression algorithms. Since you can still buy a lot of MiniDV cameras, I don't think I'd say it's been "beat out" yet.

Minidisc was only recently beat out by flash recorders for journalists, who used (and still use) the format for 10 years or better. It was never mainstream, but used in some film production for audio capture, as well. And with the ATRAC conversion, it was only really ever superior to cassette or microcassette.

Just sayin'...

.....and yet, my point remains unchanged. Sony has a long history of mis-marketing new technologies. It's nice to see them finally win one.

I still remember when Sony was marketing one of the first home- use PCs. How they got beat out by IBM and Apple is beyond me.

• Members

.....and yet, my point remains unchanged. Sony has a long history of mis-marketing new technologies. It's nice to see them finally win one.

I still remember when Sony was marketing one of the first home- use PCs. How they got beat out by IBM and Apple is beyond me.

It's because they get greedy and have a "My way or the highway" attitude.

And in my first post, I really stress that MiniDV is very mainstream, as was Hi-8 in it's day. Neither of them were really "beat out" by competing technologies. *Looks at stack of MiniDV tapes on desk*

• Members

I agree... but...

That's not really true. Not trying to start an argument... but minidisc was superior to a lot of popular technologies at the time. However, for recording it was not superior to hard disc recording.

When you're the largest company in the world... and will continue to be... you can afford to have that attitude.
:)

Well, yeah.... But the reason I mention it is it was another example of Sony missing the boat.

• Members

I got what you're saying.

• Members

Well, yeah.... But the reason I mention it is it was another example of Sony missing the boat.

Oh yeah... totally. Minidisc (as with everything else you mentioned) was way ahead of its time. And Sony will continue to spend the money on R&D to continue to make great technologies.

But yeah... why they don't get adopted is beyond me. 'Course, I'm not a marketing major. And who knows what Sony wants in exchange for technology rights. It could just boil down a simple case of "Sony wants $10 per betamax unit... JVC wants $5 per VHS unit."

Then again, one thing appears fairly consistent in the trend: The technology that wins out, is generally more convenient than the technology that offers better quality and higher standards.

It's the McDonald's syndrome.

• Members

Oh yeah... totally. Minidisc (as with everything else you mentioned) was way ahead of its time. And Sony will continue to spend the money on R&D to continue to make great technologies.

But yeah... why they don't get adopted is beyond me. 'Course, I'm not a marketing major. And who knows what Sony wants in exchange for technology rights. It could just boil down a simple case of "Sony wants $10 per betamax unit... JVC wants $5 per VHS unit."

Then again, one thing appears fairly consistent in the trend: The technology that wins out, is generally more convenient than the technology that offers better quality and higher standards.

It's the McDonald's syndrome.

Yup, the best technology doesn't always win. All too often, the best technology loses because the company that owns it insists on total control and exclusivity, profit margins that are way out of line, or other similar errors. All too often, they insist on "having it all", and end up with nothing. Seems like Sony may have learned some lessons from the past.

Archived