Favorite DI?

In Absentia

• Members

In light of the "modeler" thread, I thought we could compare DIs. I use a Radial Active DI right now (forget which model). Has anyone tried any of the higher end stuff (REDDI, Demeter, Aguilar, etc.)

I have heard some good things about the Avalon U5, but I hate the way it sounds on recordings. I get severe ear fatigue everytime I hear one.

• Members

I have the Aguilar DB900. It's great. You can hear it on my bands myspace if you feel so inclined. All of the tracks were recorded with it...

I've only ever used the SABDDI otherwise. I like the Aggie better. When I play live, I just use the DI on whatever head I bring to the gig...

Sounds absolutely incredible!! I love the second song on the page.

• Members

Favorite DIs are Countryman and Radial JDI. I've had and used many other "higher end" DIs, but they either sound the same or worse to me. For example, in bypass mode the Avalon U5 sounds the same and use of the frequency curves sounds worse.

I have always wanted to try a U5. I'm not buying one though...

• Moderators

I have always wanted to try a U5. I'm not buying one though...

One studio I use has me through a U5 one one channel and a mic'd B-15n on another. I've always liked the results, so I bought a U5 to try out against my DIs. I can't hear any difference live or recored unless I engage the filters and then it gets a bit exaggerated. I think it is useful for those that haven't spent enough time in front of a good eq panel, but if you know what you are doing behind a desk, the filters are unneeded.

Archived