Sign in to follow this  
McJayke

Mixer/Routing Solution Needed

I need help with a routing solution for recording. I am working on a hiphop project in which we sequence and record using only my Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablet. I know, it may sound like a gimmick idea, but I'm mainly interested in it as a way to see just how far tablets, and Android, have come in the way of music applications. 

The sequencing is already figured out. And for recording, I have decided to use an app called Audio Evolution, as it is packed with capabilities and features. What I realized, though, was that when recording, it cannot play back the input during the actual recording. It will play the backing track, but you cannot hear the actual recording until afterwards. This isn't preferred, so I decided maybe a mixer would be a good idea. 

What I would like to do is have a mic running into a channel, and the backing track running into a separate channel. Then, have the mic run out to the tablet's input, and a combination of the mic and backing track mixed and outputted to the headphones. This way, the tablet is only recording the mic, and the headphones are playing both the mic and the backing track.

I just don't know how to look for a mixer that has that capability for routing. I only need a basic, four channel mixer. But it needs to have separate choices for levels to aux out and to headphones for each channel, I'd imagine. Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct, and if they know of how I'd find such a product?

Two ways you can do this:

1. If you have individual channel inserts on the mixer, you would use a cable w/a 1/4" mono male plug on one end, and whatever is correct for your interface at the other end. Insert the 1/4" plug one "click" into the channel insert of the channel which the mic is plugged into. You set the level to "tape" with the channel trim.

This way will give you optimal sound quality.

2. Use an Aux send on the mixer, to send the signal to the interface. You will have to be careful setting levels this way, as it may change depending upon whether the Aux send is pre or post fader. It also adds more circuitry in the signal path.

Either way, the mix from the tablet will come back into a stereo input on the mixer, which you can balance w/the mic's channel, to create a mix for your talent.

I'd recommend Yamaha, matbe something like this?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/analog-mixers/mg_series_c_models/mg102c/

MG

In order to multitrack, you need two items. A sound card or interface that can provide full duplex, (record and play back at the same time) And that sound card or interface has to run ASIO compatible drivers so the audio bits stream at super low latency. Without full duplex you cant hear what you're recording to and without low latency, your new tracks wont alignt properly with the old tracks (plus you wouldnt be able to hear them play back without a delay due to latency echo)

If the tablet has a USB input you may be able to run an actual recording interface. If not, your hopes of tracking on it are futile. You can use a mixer on a computers windows card using a mixer to hear whats being played at the same time you're playing back a track, but you still have a latency issue because windows drivers and cards are not professional recording gear, they are multimedia junk.

The best you can probibly do is record a stereo track and play back that file after its recorded. The program you have will probibly allow you to mix playing back multiple tracks within the program that were recorded on another computer, but again, you arent tracking at the same time, just mixing.

I advse you not to waste your money buying any mixer or interface. You can take that money and buy a hand held recorder or one of those stand alone Zoom or Tascam recorders. You can record well with them building tracks. They have SD cards for the memory and will record at 24 bits. Otherwise, you need a laptop that has a USB port and run a real recording interface. The program you run has little to do with the hardware functionality. Just because they make a program that will run on a tablet doesnt mean its going to transform a $2 windows chip into a multitrack studio. You have hardware issues you've already identified and nothing is going to fix that besides getting hardware can be wired to work with the software properly.

WRGKMC wrote:

In order to multitrack, you need two items. A sound card or interface that can provide full duplex, (record and play back at the same time) And that sound card or interface has to run ASIO compatible drivers so the audio bits stream at super low latency. Without full duplex you cant hear what you're recording to and without low latency, your new tracks wont alignt properly with the old tracks (plus you wouldnt be able to hear them play back without a delay due to latency echo)

If the tablet has a USB input you may be able to run an actual recording interface. If not, your hopes of tracking on it are futile. You can use a mixer on a computers windows card using a mixer to hear whats being played at the same time you're playing back a track, but you still have a latency issue because windows drivers and cards are not professional recording gear, they are multimedia junk.

The best you can probibly do is record a stereo track and play back that file after its recorded. The program you have will probibly allow you to mix playing back multiple tracks within the program that were recorded on another computer, but again, you arent tracking at the same time, just mixing.

I advse you not to waste your money buying any mixer or interface. You can take that money and buy a hand held recorder or one of those stand alone Zoom or Tascam recorders. You can record well with them building tracks. They have SD cards for the memory and will record at 24 bits. Otherwise, you need a laptop that has a USB port and run a real recording interface. The program you run has little to do with the hardware functionality. Just because they make a program that will run on a tablet doesnt mean its going to transform a $2 windows chip into a multitrack studio. You have hardware issues you've already identified and nothing is going to fix that besides getting hardware can be wired to work with the software properly.

I do truly appreciate the input here, but I don't think that you understood the situation. I am not having any issues dealing with a Windows soundcard. I'm using only a tablet for this process. I am willing to make a workaround and use a device to help mixing during recording, but to go any further than that, like using a completely different recording device, would really ruin the concept behind the recording. The app we're using is Audio Evolution, and it is really a very good app. However, my tablet doesn't support the USB hardware that would normally solve the issue (yet). Latency isn't something I'm worried about, since the app has a resolution for that. I just need to know what I need for a mixer. I checked a few out today, and found what I need by taking a little bit of information from the first reply and trying a few other options. Now I just have to wait until the mixer goes on sale next month,  and snatch it up. Thanks, all, for the help. It's greatly appreciated.