Univox U-1235 on eBay

misterhinkydink

• Members

I sent a question to the vendor and pointed out two 6550s = 50 watts or so.

I like it. I was looking for a 100 watt or so tube head for my rig to run the fx through, but I think I'll start saving up for that Waterstone 12ver instead.

Wouldn't two be more like 100 ? :confused:

If 6 = 300 :idk:

• Members

Wouldn't two be more like 100 ?
:confused:

If 6 = 300
:idk:

it depends on plate voltage and bias but, alot of those 60's -70's amps that ran 6550's would put out between 75- 90 watts at full clipping. i don't have plate dissipation info in front of me but i think max on a 6550 is 45 watts or so.

as a side note - i played with a band that were all using "low" wattage sunns a while back ( sorados and solaris' iirc- all dual 6550 powered amps) and they were f'in loud.

• Members

it depends on plate voltage and bias but, alot of those 60's -70's amps that ran 6550's would put out between 75- 90 watts at full clipping. i don't have plate dissipation info in front of me but i think max on a 6550 is 45 watts or so.

as a side note - i played with a band that were all using "low" wattage sunns a while back ( sorados and solaris' iirc- all dual 6550 powered amps) and they were f'in loud.

The literature says it came with 6L6's so I wouldn't expect much more power by dropping in 6550's.

• Members

The literature says it came with 6L6's so I wouldn't expect much more power by dropping in 6550's.

well,again, that would depend on the power and output transformers -there are a few amps that are overbuilt enough that going from 6l6's to 6550's (with the correct bias change) can yield pretty substantial volume gains (the rivera m-series amps come to mind)

that being said - i'm not really a univox guy ( i think i've been in MAYBE 4 of them over the years) and the transformers could be puny :idk: but, iirc they did make several 6550 powered amps and i wouldn't put it past them to use the same transformer sets on both their 6l6 and 6550 amps.

Archived