OLP versus Squier

GhostBunnies

• Members

Hello!

I'm planning to purchase a new bass, and since I'm living in France, I wish I could but I can't even afford a MIM Fender or a Highway One because they are way too expensive for me.

So I'm either planning to buy a Squier Bronco (I like the smaller size), Affinity Jazz Bass (I like the pickups) or an OLP Stringray MM2 (I like the way it looks like but never tried one).

Can anyone give me any feedback on these basses?

That would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

• Members

Hello!

I'm planning to purchase a new bass, and since I'm living in France, I wish I could but I can't even afford a MIM Fender or a Highway One because they are way too expensive for me.

So I'm either planning to buy a Squier Bronco (I like the smaller size), Affinity Jazz Bass (I like the pickups) or an OLP Stringray MM2 (I like the way it looks like but never tried one).

Can anyone give me any feedback on these basses?

That would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

I own an OLP. It was my very first bass, and it's been my #1 bass ever since I had the Aguilar preamp installed. It was giving nice lows but the highs weren't bright enough for what I wanted. The 3-band preamp made the OLP so very flexible!

The trussrod on the OLPs are wimpy, and OLP admits that. But if you don't play heavy strings, it's fine.

It's been a great bass!

• Members

I own an OLP. It was my very first bass, and it's been my #1 bass ever since I had the Aguilar preamp installed. It was giving nice lows but the highs weren't bright enough for what I wanted. The 3-band preamp made the OLP so very flexible!

The trussrod on the OLPs are wimpy, and OLP admits that. But if you don't play heavy strings, it's fine.

It's been a great bass!

+1

i have one, and did less and it still rocks...i had the pots replaced with a tone, a volume and a series/parallel switch...now it definitely kicks ass...and i've noticed no issues with the truss rod, had both lo-riders and ernie ball strings, standard guage

• Members

+1

i have one, and did less and it still rocks...i had the pots replaced with a tone, a volume and a series/parallel switch...now it definitely kicks ass...and i've noticed no issues with the truss rod, had both lo-riders and ernie ball strings, standard guage

Early ... maybe within 6mos of purchase, I bought some heavy-gauge strings and the neck curved up like a banana. I thought the trussrod needed to be turned or something else adjusted. Finally took it to a shop and the repair guy said the OLP had a "wimpy-ass trussrod."

I contacted OLP and they agreed. But it's a non-issue. I don't play big strings.

Everything was fine for 2 years; then I hunted for an in-yo-face funky pop on the high end. Wasn't gonna happen with the stock electronics. And fortunately I wasn't swayed by the folk who advised me to buy a whole new bass. This OLP with the 3band preamp is on the same level as Booker's Bourbon and homegrown titties!

:love:

YUM YUM!!!

• Members

I always lean toward Fender, I just like them?

Doesn't help you much I know, i've never played an OLP or a Bronco sorry...

I am however hoping to get hold of a Squire Jazz soon for a project
:thu:

You gonna whoop some purple or blue Sperzels on your project?

I saw that Jag before it left Chicago. Would have looked supreme with red Sperzels.

• Members

You gonna whoop some purple or blue Sperzels on your project?

I saw that Jag before it left Chicago. Would have looked supreme with red Sperzels.

NO! :mad:

:lol:

It's gonna be one kick ass looking and sounding bass though, a true project bass like yours :thu:

• Members

So Bronco is not very popular overseas it seems?

I wish someone could give me some feedback on that.

I played a Bronco in stores. Shortscale bass. Got me thinking that I might like a shortscale bass, but the Bronco itself didn't move me. I ultimately bought an Ibanez shortscale bass, but that's a whole different story. To summarize: I shopped for a sturdy shortscale that I could buy for cheap, then make modifications to.

Mango Bass Project thread

You're welcome to go that route if you are motivated, imaginative and patient.

• Members

That looks pretty interesting!

If I would pick a Bronco up, I would customize it as well.

Thinking about replacing the bridge, the pickguard and the pickup currently.

But that would make me spend even more money and I'm not so wealthy right now.

=/

That's why I'm hesitating between these three basses: Squier Affinity Jazz Bass, Squier Bronco or a used OLP Stingray MM2.

Which one would you rather pick up between Squier Affinity Jazz Bass and OLP Stingray MM2?

It seems like people are more into OLP here?

• Members

Which one would you rather pick up between Squier Affinity Jazz Bass and OLP Stingray MM2?

It seems like people are more into OLP here?

On this thread, the OLP club responded. But I suspect that the wider forum has had a lot more experience with Squier than the OLP. Personally, I don't find the Squire aesthetically appealing. Never seriously thought about buying any type of Fender. And I think that's a legit criterion for choosing an instrument. (But I wouldn't select a pretty bass that is uncomfortable, raggedy or sounds awful.)

OLP w/see-thru pickguard and 18v preamp

basses007.jpg

basses006.jpg

• Members

Run away from OLP and never look back. I had a brand new 5 string OLP and the truss rod let go after 9 months! OLP wouldn't cover it under warrenty. I had to buy a new neck from them and install it myself! That POS then got sold. I will never think about buying their crap again. Cheap made in China....I should have known.

I also found the sharp edge of the body cut into my right forearm after playing a few songs. I probably would have rounded out the body if I had kept the thing.

The string spacing was actually too close together for my liking...come to think of it, I don't know why I ever bought that thing.

You can do WAYYY better than OLP.

Archived