Sign in to follow this  
Sevindust83

Shure SM7 comment....

I just thought I'd share this with you guys.... I've recently started tracking my band which is metal with a lot of screaming vocals which have previously always stood out and always sounded seperate from the rest of the mix. I decided to try the SM7b (was using LDC) and I was so pumped with the results. Even with our singer screaming his lungs out with the mic nearly in his mouth, everything sounded extremely clear and sat sooo well in the mix. Just thought I'd share this with you guys in case anyone was looking for a good mic to record metal vocals. Later

I've been wanting an SM7 for just that reason. I have also been thinking about an EV RE20, and I can't decide between the 2.

You rarely see a discussion about one without the other being compared. IMHO, you'll get more mileage out of the RE20. Great mic for numerous instruments, not to mention vocals. If you're going for the SM7, be careful. There are several different runs out there that were manufactured in different countries(I believe Mexico was one). Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Best, Paul

You rarely see a discussion about one without the other being compared. IMHO, you'll get more mileage out of the RE20. Great mic for numerous instruments, not to mention vocals. If you're going for the SM7, be careful. There are several different runs out there that were manufactured in different countries(I believe Mexico was one). Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Best, Paul

Have you compared different SM-7s, or are you just repeating what you've heard?

This is the first I've heard of this - Shure's quality has always been consistent, no matter where they were manufactured. I'd like to see a source for this info, please.

MG

Do your research before buying. You could get a great one or a really mediocre/bad one.

Shure is very consistant about their mics and EV is as well.

Shure's Mexican mics have in my opinion been consistant with earlier US built mics.

I have seen/heard claims that Mexican SM57's and SM58's were supposedly not as good as earlier US made ones but I honestly think this has been fueled by attempts in the last several years by people on Ebay to get more money for their American made mics that they were selling. I have never heard anyone before this post question the quality of the SM7 at all.

Have you compared different SM-7s, or are you just repeating what you've heard?... I'd like to see a source for this info, please.MG

No, I haven't bought and compared different units. That's not what I based the post on. I was researching the Rode K2 for different reasons on Klaus Heyne's forum at http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ , and I saw it in one of the related threads. I was quite surprised. That's why it stuck in memory. I don't have time to find the exact thread, but a seach of "Rode K2" is where it was. There seemed to be consent from posters, and no one seemed to contradict it. If I get a chance, I'll go thru the list again. FWIW, I've never had a problem with any Shure mic, but I would certainly be aware if warned of potential problems and check it out before buying.

Best, Paul

From some comments I have read on this forum, the SM7 is the greatest mic in the world and blows away any "cheap" condenser mic like AT 4047/4050, any Rode condenser, etc.

I have an RE20 that gets a lot of use, but isn't the perfect mic for every occasion and frequently gets replaced with one of the "crap" mics listed above.

But I rarely read any reviews of the SM7 that aren't very positive.

The SM7 is pretty much my go to mic for screamers ...it just has that special something that glues the vocal into the mix.

Isn't Shure SM7 and EV RE20 quite in the same ball park sonically, both being LD dynamics, specs being quite the same?

Nope, sorry SM7B not SM57. It's a large diapham dynamic.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_SM7B_content

and it's fantastic. I use it on snare live and everything when I'm recording. I'll be doing vocals with it next monday and I was using it on a bass cab last night.

Dave

Oops. sorry. It was a long day. Kind of missread it. :rolleyes::o

Isn't Shure SM7 and EV RE20 quite in the same ball park sonically, both being LD dynamics, specs being quite the same?

The SM7 has the same capsule as the SM57 and SM58.

There is nothing particularly LARGE about the Shure Unidyne III capsule as dynamic mics go.

Now it's my turn to apologise.

I was fairly sure that the 57, 58 and 7 all used different capsules.

Either way it sounds good, must be the magic dust those guys at Shure use.

Dave

There is nothing particularly
LARGE
about the Shure Unidyne III capsule as dynamic mics go.

FYI... according to the FAQ on Shure's website they are based on the same design but it is not the same capsule.

Just like the difference between the SM57 and SM58 it's the housing of the capsule that is different not the capsule itself. This is why some people insist the 57 and 58 have different capsules because they are indeed different parts and of course have different part numbers but it is still a Unidyne III capsule in both of them.

The physical environment around and near the capsule does have significant inpact on the sound of a mic. Put the same capsule in a different mic body or use a different grill and it is going to affect the sound a bunch.

I'm sure the SM7 costs quite a bit more to make than a 57 or 58 but it's just not going to be good for business to be telling people that their $350 mic has the same major part in it as their $100 mic so it's not surprising they are going to be a bit cagey about it.

So I guess my question would be why do you say they are the same capsule?

I don't get the impression that Shure misleads people, from everything I've seen they are a reputable company and looking at information they provide doesn't seem hyped or twisted or cagey.

The FAQ clearly states that they are based on the same design but they are not the same capsule.

There is nothing particularly
LARGE
about the Shure Unidyne III capsule as dynamic mics go.

Thanks for the clarification. I have always had the idea that's SM7 is a LD dynamic. Then what's the beef with it? People seem to love it thou.

I don't get the impression that Shure misleads people, from everything I've seen they are a reputable company and looking at information they provide doesn't seem hyped or twisted or cagey.

The FAQ's do clearly state that all three (SM57, SM58 and SM7) use the capsules based on the Unidyne III, but they also clearly state that the SM57 and SM58 use the same capsule but that the SM7 does not.

Regardless, though, a quick look at the specs show that the SM7 is measurably better than the SM57 and SM58, which are for the most part identical...the only difference is the grille itself, which does affect its performance by design. And just about anyone who has used both will tell you that the differences are not subtle. Even if they did use the same capsule there's a lot more to the microphone than just the capsule. It's not surprising that people prefer it to cheaper condensers...a $350 condenser is a low- to mid-end microphone (not to say there aren't some great microphones in that price range), whereas a $350 dynamic microphone is a high-end microphone.

Thanks for the clarification. I have always had the idea that's SM7 is a LD dynamic. Then what's the beef with it? People seem to love it thou.

No beef with the mic at at all, it's a great mic.

My beef is whem people start calling it a large diaphragm dynamic because it isn't and this is a really really common misconception.

Yeah, that's the question I was looking for an answer too when I went thru Shure's FAQ... is the SM7 a larger diaphram as compared to the the SM57/58... I couldn't find an answer either way. The specs and literature don't say one way or another. The image of the replacement capsule make it look like it's not a very large diaphram.

Ok. I knew the 57 and 58 were the same capsule. But is the SM7 really the same capsule as well?

Does anyone know FOR SURE? Has anyone physically disassembled an SM7 and a 57/58, and compared the two capsules?

I don't know if it's the same capsule or not, but I do know that I'm really enjoying mine. :thu: Our band has been cutting vocals at my place, and we have two singers - one with a very clean voice with plenty of highs, and one with more of a gritty rock feel to his voice with a more dynamic style. We've been getting some really good sounds recording the clean voice through a BLUE Baby Bottle mic into a Groove Tubes Brick preamp, and the gritty voice into an SM-7b through a Grace Design Model 101, both through an Apogee Rosetta 200 converter. :) The BLUE and the Shure are two great vocal mics for any home studio (or any studio at all, really) to have in their collection, and they won't run you a lot of money.

The FAQ's do clearly state that all three (SM57, SM58 and SM7) use the capsules based on the Unidyne III, but they also clearly state that the SM57 and SM58 use the same capsule but that the SM7 does not.

Regardless, though, a quick look at the specs show that the SM7 is measurably better than the SM57 and SM58, which are for the most part identical...the only difference is the grille itself, which does affect its performance by design. And just about anyone who has used both will tell you that the differences are not subtle. Even if they did use the same capsule there's a lot more to the microphone than just the capsule. It's not surprising that people prefer it to cheaper condensers...a $350 condenser is a low- to mid-end microphone (not to say there aren't some great microphones in that price range), whereas a $350 dynamic microphone is a high-end microphone.

good for screamers. needs a great pre amp to shine.to me it doesnt do the air thing. needs eq . there are a couple of 350$ ldc mics that i would choose over most times but im glad i have it. it does get much hype though.

It's NOT the same capsule.  The SM57 and SM58 as we all know, have the same capsule. The SM7, although its capsule is based on the Unidyne III capsule, like the 57 and 58, it's not identical. The SM7 capsule is p/n RPM106; the SM57 and SM58 capsule is p/n R57. Furthermore, the SM7 has no output transformer.