Noise problem w/ active EQ in a Schecter Stilleto...

jaeger82

• Members

Hey guys,

I have a Schecter Stilleto Custom 5 that has an active 2 band EQ on it and when I crank the treble to +12dB I get a nice squealing noise ... Of course this is combined with a light bit of distortion for some grind. I would just add the extra treble from my pre but It's already maxed out.

Now I know the pickups and electronics are not that great in the Schecters, but I happen to like the sound I'm getting so far, sans the noise!

What do y'all think would be my best option:

A) Replace the active EQ w/ something better.

B) Replace the pickups.

C) Replace all the electronics.

D) Get a GEB-7 and boost the treble from there. (assuming it's not as noisy as the EQ in my bass.)

E) Get a POD X3 Pro if it ever comes out and use the parametric EQ in that. :(

F) Other...

• Members

But boost it that much? What kind of tone are you going for? How much boost doe the pre allow?

I have a fairly heavy type of tone...that cuts through like no other, and my treble is completely flat.

EDIT: It give 12 db of boost...so you've got it cranked!

I would go with option F. Get a real amp or pre...

• Members

What kind of tone are you going for?

I give up. If I could better understand what you are trying to do, I can give you good advice. Otherwise, I can give you sub par advice on what I assume you are trying to do. Right now, boosting the treble by 12db sounds silly and unnecessary to me, regardless of the context or room. Any time that you boost treble that high, it's going to give you noise.

If you're looking for a bright sound, maybe trying some different strings and EQ settings would do you great. You're using a POD as a preamp right now? I think that's part of the problem. New stainless strings are going to be much brighter than a set of old dead flats...know what I mean?

• Members

I give up. If I could better understand what you are trying to do, I can give you good advice. Otherwise, I can give you sub par advice on what I assume you are trying to do. Right now, boosting the treble by 12db sounds silly and unnecessary to me, regardless of the context or room. Any time that you boost treble that high, it's going to give you noise.

If you're looking for a bright sound, maybe trying some different strings and EQ settings would do you great. You're using a POD as a preamp right now? I think that's part of the problem. New stainless strings are going to be much brighter than a set of old dead flats...know what I mean?

It's a pod pro (yes a guitar pre), and it's not the cause of the noise, as far as not being able to get enough high end sure. Either way there is something in the room causing the interference, because where I record it only introduces ground floor hiss... Also new strings don't even get it bright enough for me.

I could probably eradicate it by adjusting the threshold for the amount of ground floor noise introduced by that bass, I haven't tweaked it for this situation.

Yes boosting anything more than 6dB is typically a bad idea, but for some reason it just sounds best through what I'm pushing it through.

• Members

It's a pod pro (yes a guitar pre), and it's not the cause of the
noise
, as far as not being able to get enough high end sure. Either way there is something in the room causing the interference, because where I record it only introduces ground floor hiss... Also new strings don't even get it bright enough for me.

I could probably eradicate it by adjusting the threshold for the amount of ground floor noise introduced by that bass, I haven't tweaked it for this situation.

Yes boosting anything more than 6dB is typically a bad idea, but for some reason it just sounds best through what I'm pushing it through.

I'm not saying the POD is causing the noise...I'm saying that it's not helping you, as you obviously aren't getting what you want out of it.

This is the first time you mentioned outside interference too...so now we've got another problem to deal with. Here's some homework for you:

Does the thing hiss/hum in different outlets around your house?

Are there any flourenscent lights around?

Does it hiss/hum when you touch the strings or when you're not touching it at all?

Does it always hiss/hum, or only when you boost the treble on the bass?

• Members

I'm not saying the POD is causing the noise...I'm saying that it's not helping you, as you obviously aren't getting what you want out of it.

This is the first time you mentioned outside interference too...so now we've got another problem to deal with. Here's some homework for you:

Does the thing hiss/hum in different outlets around your house?

Are there any flourenscent lights around?

Does it hiss/hum when you touch the strings or when you're not touching it at all?

Does it always hiss/hum, or only when you boost the treble on the bass?

• Members

Hey man,

I have the 4-string version of your bass. Yes, boosting it beyond 6dB is going to introduce noise. What I do is keep the bass EQ around +3dB and use the graphic EQ in my Bass PODxt to boost the treble around 1 kHz by about another 3-6dB. I play in a Tool cover band, which requires that extra treble "edge" and it works out great. My cab also has a tweeter that I typically max out.

Don't know if that helps--but I find the EQ in the POD doesn't add any additional noise. I also find that boosting the high-mids a little rounds out the high end (around +3dB at 800Hz), which makes it brighter but not as harsh. I know the old POD pro (non-xt version) wasn't very flexible.

You could try the EQ pedal first--it might work. Use no more than a 3-6dB boost on the pedal and a 3-6dB boost on the bass active EQ and you might be in good shape.

j

• Members

By the way, I wouldn't hold your breath on a PODX3 Pro--I've heard the Pro versions never sold that well and they likely won't continue them.

I'm not that sold on the PODs anymore anyway. The bass and guitar versions served me well for a long time but as I upgrade to better amps and pedals I find that the PODs only introduce mud into the tone--like the old "blanket over the amp" sound. I like the flexibility but it's really not worth the tone suck in my opinion. Great if you don't have a lot of money for equipment/pedals though.

So if you ever plan to upgrade, might as well consider a better head (or preamp in your case perhaps) and some pedals--for about the same price as a POD Pro you can do much better.

• Members

I can only assume one of 3 things or a combo of them:

1. Your bass amp and cab are horrid, with no treble content.

2. Your useing flat strings that have lost all of their top end.

3. You have hearing problems with treble.

I wont add a number 4 that might apply to some basses, cause yours being what you say isnt, Which would be a lousy bass with no treble. The schecter has plenty of top end, so it isnt that.

• Members

I can only assume one of 3 things or a combo of them:

1. Your bass amp and cab are horrid, with no treble content.

2. Your useing flat strings that have lost all of their top end.

3. You have hearing problems with treble.

I wont add a number 4 that might apply to some basses, cause yours being what you say isnt, Which would be a lousy bass with no treble. The schecter has plenty of top end, so it isnt that.

A) The pre is a guitar pre that was designed to be easy to NOT get a bad sound on "guitar," so they opted to not allow you to crank the high end all that much.

The cab is a standard Ampeg 8x10 that has no tweeter... I wouldn't call that horrid [;)], but an avatar 4x10 is in my future.

B) Strings are relatively new.

C) No, I get tested regularly as I rely on it a lot. ;)

Anyway I'll have to record it some day and show y'all... It's a real nasty, grindy, saturated sound... I went to the studio tonight with my laptop and adjusted the noise gate to -36dB threshold and a 0ms release. (It was set to -76dB by default) That suppressed the issue enough to where it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Thanks for the replies...

• Members

some new DR strings could be a nice addition... but if you have a sound THAT bright, it will sound amazing if youre playing alone, but it will sound crappy and/or not fill any bottom in a band setting...

alot of tones that sound good when youre playing alone sound crappy in a band setting...

• Members

Oh theres plenty of low end as well, More than needed actually to put it where it may sound a bit muddy to compensate for the room... When I play in a bigger venue I'll just crank the active EQ down 6dB. Every rooms different. :|

Guttermouth, I'm actually using a amp + cab emu, because It's the only way I could get the sound I was looking for out of it. XD (and yeah about the cutting low, it's a delicate balance)

Yeah at least a 4x10 avatar neo w/ tweeter would be a start. Hell I'm only using 1 side of the 8x10 right now and it's plenty powerful. The 2x10 would be a great addition if I wanted one to lug around back and forth. Definitely going to go 4ohm/4ohm.

• Members

Here is a rough mix I worked on last night of what the bass sounds like in, well a rough mix... No distortion here.

Pickup at middle position, bass and treble active EQs cranked to max, recorded direct. Post EQ (.67Q 40Hz rolloff, +3dB @ 70Hz 1Q, -15dB @ 100Hz 6Q, -12dB @ 250Hz 3Q, -12dB @ 435Hz .75Q, +3dB @ 1.3kHz, -12dB @ 2.5kHz 3Q)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8191517d0c8607/

• Members

Oh theres plenty of low end as well, More than needed actually to put it where it may sound a bit muddy to compensate for the room... When I play in a bigger venue I'll just crank the active EQ down 6dB. Every rooms different. :|

Guttermouth, I'm actually using a amp + cab emu, because It's the only way I could get the sound I was looking for out of it. XD (and yeah about the cutting low, it's a delicate balance)

that's where your lack of high end is coming from then. not to say that's right or wrong - but the cab sims have eq filters applied to them that roll off the highs ( iirc most of them were about 10-12 k).that being the the case, everything after that will be dull sounding and boosting any highs after that will just add noise.

if that's the only way to get the sound you're looking for you might try an exciter unit (*gasp*yes i went there..)after it to try and bring back some of the lost high end or using pa cabs to get less real world cabinet color.

• Members

that's where your lack of high end is coming from then. not to say that's right or wrong - but the cab sims have eq filters applied to them that roll off the highs ( iirc most of them were about 10-12 k).that being the the case, everything after that will be dull sounding and boosting any highs after that will just add noise.

if that's the only way to get the sound you're looking for you might try an exciter unit (*gasp*yes i went there..)after it to try and bring back some of the lost high end or using pa cabs to get less real world cabinet color.

Yeah I hear that, but EQ wise this one amp + cab had the best pseudo bass emulation I could conjure up haha. I played with the tube pre model at first thinking it would be the only model I could use and get a decent sound... I will try no cab emu and see what I can get this weekend. Sounds disgusting on guitar, but it may be OK for bass!

• Members

Yes, for sure play it with the cab sims turned off. My Bass POD sounds horrible through the amp with those on--and yes, the cab sims do roll off the treble. I can hear that lovely "squashed" POD sound in that clip you posted. It should sound night and day better through the amp with the cab sim off. You can keep the amp sim on, but turn the cab off. It shouldn't affect the tone you looking for--if anything it will sound a lot better. It should open things right up both dynamically and in frequency response.

You are right--the guitars sound terrible with them off but with bass they are better off through an amp. Without a doubt.

• Members

Yes, for sure play it with the cab sims turned off. My Bass POD sounds horrible through the amp with those on--and yes, the cab sims do roll off the treble. I can hear that lovely "squashed" POD sound in that clip you posted. It should sound night and day better through the amp with the cab sim off. You can keep the amp sim on, but turn the cab off. It shouldn't affect the tone you looking for--if anything it will sound a lot better. It should open things right up both dynamically and in frequency response.

You are right--the guitars sound terrible with them off but with bass they are better off through an amp. Without a doubt.

No POD there actually just direct into my firebox, It's probably the compression you're hearing in the clip. Definitely going to play around with all the amp models and turn off the cabs.

Archived