Gibson "Money Bass" any good?

Ripfence

• Members

It's sad that they didn't include the selector switch that the EB3 had. I don't understand their thinking.
:confused:

Nice pic there misterhinkydink !
:love:

Is that a V4B cab ?

I wish it had the same knob setup as the old ones. 4 knobs + the chicken head knob. Looks so much cooler than the standard line of knobs on the new ones.

• Members

I did play one recently. You can get one for about $700 brand new if you look hard enough. Guitard Center runs a special on them quite frequently. The one with the flame maple top with the mohogany cutout is a gorgeous bass. It sounded decent, and very much like a T-Bird. Maybe not as deep in the low end. The neck is slim and VERY fast. The body is pretty thin too. A little unbalanced, heavy on the neck. I would buy one, but never for full price. Looks a bit like a Wal bass.

• Members

I did play one recently. You can get one for about $700 brand new if you look hard enough. Guitard Center runs a special on them quite frequently. The one with the flame maple top with the mohogany cutout is a gorgeous bass. It sounded decent, and very much like a T-Bird. Maybe not as deep in the low end. The neck is slim and VERY fast. The body is pretty thin too. A little unbalanced, heavy on the neck. I would buy one, but never for full price. Looks a bit like a Wal bass.

With the MF 20 percent discount I got it for $640.00.

• Members

Not my thing at all...but i gotta say that "$" symbol is gaudy as hell, i can see Flava Flav wearin' that whole bass around his neck.
:eek::freak::lol:

I agree and plan to replace it with either 'Gibson' or plain. They also call it the 'Les Paul Money Bass' and nowhere does it say 'Les Paul'.

• Members

With the MF 20 percent discount I got it for $640.00.

Where does one get discounts from MF?

$640 would place this bass close to the "steal" category.

That $ truss rod cover is so awful. How heavy is it? Gibsons always look, to me, like they are heavy and/or neck divers.

• Members

That $ truss rod cover is so awful. How heavy is it? Gibsons always look, to me, like they are heavy and/or neck divers.

They mailed them out to "loyal" customers sometime in January. They expired at the end of February. I got my SG bass for $640 too. Mine is very light, but does have some neck dive. I don't know how bad it is because I've never played another bass that has neck dived before. Don't have anything to compare it to.

• Members

It's light and feels well balanced to me. My only complaint is it is uncomfortable to play sitting down. The lower bout digs into my chest.

• Members

youre kidding right??
:eek:

The Money Bass and the T-bird share the same pups---ceramic TB Plus models. The Money has a mahogany body (like a T-bird) with a maple cap (not), and a set mahogany neck, as opposed to a seven-laminate mahogany neck-through on the 'bird. The bridge on the Money bass looks like an improvement on that three-bolt T-bird abhomination.

A decent used reissue T-bird will cost several hundred dollars more than the $800 MF is asking for the Money bass. If T-bird tone matters more than T-bird looks, I'd certainly consider one.

Archived