Ibanez ATK's - old vs. new?

djpatb

• Members

I have an old 90's Ibanez ATK 300 that sounds great...but the other day I was at Guitar Center and I pulled one of the new reissues off the wall. It didn't feel as heavy...but I thought the neck felt more confortable and playable for some reason. Maybe it was just the set-up? Anyway, I liked it A LOT more than my old one. I also noticed the truss rod adjusment is at the bottom of the neck on the new ones, and there's a separate battery compartment. Any of you guys noticed a difference in playability between the old and new ones? I might just dump my old one, and pick up the new one at GC. Thanks!

• Members

Yeah, I don't really need it. I mainly play a passive Jazz bass...but I do like the sound of the ATK. Beats me why the new one felt so much more comfortable.

Maybe because Ibanez are one of the few companies whose products actually get better as time goes by ;)

Seriously. My old 1999 SR406 was nowhere near the quality of my 2006 BTB556. Both made in Korea, both the same level. The new Soundgears are far superior as well.

• Members

I've owned the older ones and played the new ones. I think they are pretty equal in terms of quality, sound, playability, etc.

But if one speaks to YOU then get it.

Personally I really dig the new ones and the one Rowka is after may be my next bass.

• Members

Yeah, the one I played was just a regular ATK 300, not the Pewter edition...but it was black body, black pickguard, and rosewood board. GC had it on clearance for $399 new. I believe it was the only ATK they had. I may have to go back there soon myself!

Archived