dont know which bass to buy........

iracemx199

• Members

Either the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass- $280

416354.jpg

Or a Fender Standard Jazz Bass- $480

327504.jpg

I've heard pretty good things about the Squire bass, considering its a Squire. And of course you can't go wrong with a fender. I kinda like the looks of the squire better. I don't really need anything special, just something to put bass into my recordings and I'm not a pro bass player or anything.

opinions??:thu:

• Members

Don't buy a Fender at all. :poke:

I would go with a used G&L JB series if you have to have the jazz bass. Check out Ibanez, Schecter, Peavey, G&L, Rondo basses, etc as well. Make sure you try before you by to find out what kind of set-up you like.

• Members

Well, when you do try them out, make sure to out several amps too. I almost bought a bass that I thought was good, but in reality I was just playing on a freakin' awesome cab, so it sounded good.

+1. If possible, play something as close to your amp (or if the store carries your amp) in order to get the closest reproduction of it. Either should suit you just fine; the only reason I might choose the Fender over the Squire is that if you sell it at some point, the Fender would be easier to unload.

• Members

ESP my balls, it's like playing bass with a bin. Ibanez are good around the 400 mark...BTB Series are cool if that's your style.

Try both definately, the Squiers are great but i'd go for Fender as the tonal capabilities will cane it's price range competitors.

• Members

I've played both and I like the Standard Jazz a little better in terms of tone... but the Squire is awesome looking!

Personally, I would buy the Squire and mod it. HipShot, BAIII, new Preamp and controls, experiment with pickups.

• Members

Try them both !

I'd say Fender though... my experience with an MIM Fender Jazz bass is a positive one. I wanted a budget fretless bass and got that J-bass for real cheap and compared to my other electrics (among which there's a real US G&L), the MIM J-bass is very nice. I actually don't think I'll ever let it go ! Maybe I'll change the pickups at some point but the bass itself is one of my favorites !

BUT (there is a BUT with one "t"), I tried quite a few MIM Fender J-bass before I bought mine... and I played a few in music stores when ever I saw one and I haven't found another I like as much (if I find a fretted as cool as my fretless, I'll buy it !). SO, my advice : don't order ! Go shopping, try all the Jazz basses you can and pick the one you prefer.

Check the necks aswell... you want the wood grain to be as straight as possible (not knotty) and the rosewood to be darker.

• Members

I've played both and I like the Standard Jazz a little better in terms of tone... but the Squire is awesome looking!

Personally, I would buy the Squire and mod it. HipShot, BAIII, new Preamp and controls, experiment with pickups.

I like that idea. Would it be more expensive than the fender in the long run though?:confused:

• Members

It might be, but you'll be making small investments here and there, and you'll eventually have a tailored instrument that you've bonded with. That's gotta be good for the mojo, plus you've got to play it a ton so you can recognize the changes :thu:

• Members

It might be, but you'll be making small investments here and there, and you'll eventually have a tailored instrument that you've bonded with. That's gotta be good for the mojo, plus you've got to play it a ton so you can recognize the changes
:thu:

aren't you the same guy who was about to bid on my brian moore 5 string bass?

• Members

+1 to Ibanez making the best mid-low-end basses, but they are all very different than the two posted in the OP.

bigger +1 to trying different stuff out, even different instruments of the same make & model, and finding out what speaks to you.

• Members

If you go Fender/Squire, play every one of the same model you want. They vary so greatly from slab to slab that you'll be screwing yourself over if you don't try a few. :) That said, my FAVOURITE, NUMBER ONE, FOREVER ALWAYS bass was an MIM Jazz. A truly great sounding bass, totally stock. I traded it off for an Ibanez Roadster, which is much better. :p

Archived