Anyone like country?

FromAbove

• Members

I'm getting burnt out on rock (never thought I'd say that :facepalm:) and I'm starting to look at c&w. anyone here enjoy it daily? I have XM and I'm listening to some stations on there but I have no idea where to go after that. I don't know if I can listen to it for very long and go running back to rock but who knows. Are there any country players on here?

• Members

I love country music. Lately, I've been listening to country music more than rock.

Some of my favorite country artists are Kenny Chesney, David Allan Coe, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, and Hank Williams Jr.

I will admit, I do like some of the newer country pop stuff :facepalm:

I don't have XM so, I can't comment on radio stations.

• Members

I like the old stuff. Especially the real old stuff, from the 1920s and 1930s. But there's a lot of country of the 50s and even 70s that I get into.

I don't care for modern blues or country. Or jazz, really, when I think of it. But there is tons of great music from all three of those genres that I listen to and collect extensively recorded prior to WW2 and right after.

I could be cut off from all music recorded after ww2 and be just fine in fact, though I would miss the stages of rock and roll a lot.

• Members

Does Alt-country count? Old 97's, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Drive By Truckers (more southern rock, I guess), My Morning Jacket, The Little Willies (Norah Jones side project, more western swing, but very good). I'm sure I have a couple other discs i missed.. Oh!! Jayhawks :thu:

• Members

What is country today? Some of McGraws, Chesneys, Hills, etc. music doesn't sound too country. Seems like they've transitioned to more pop country. I like the older Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, etc. music better, along with the classics from the '60s. Brad Paisley and Gretchen Wilson are cranking out some country, although I think Gretchen is wearing her redneck country persona out. Some of today's country sounds too contrived to me, particular Big & Rich and Montgomery Gentry. Too much of country incorporates the short guitar hero solo that all sound the same. And Taylor Swift's flash dance routine...what was that???

Country music is generally not very bass friendly. Have you ever noticed how the country bass player is generally off in the shadows somewhere?

• Members

I'm sort of on the periphery of the genre. I like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kim Richie, Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss (bluegrass).

I'm not too much into the popular stuff.

I enjoy playing the bluegrass / country gospel stuff that our guitarist likes in church though. Our congregation really goes for it.

• Members

It's a good technique/style to learn.

The pay is top notch (for cover bands, anyhow!), wimmenz are by the hottest (w/out being absolute sluts and/or whores about it), and the overall atmosphere is very family friendly and low-stress (from what I've been involved with, anyhow).

I'd much rather be in the Nashville circuit/scene than LA, just my honest take.

I like a few of the radio stuff, but it's more focused on the Texas/OK red dirt guys. More rock-country than anything.

Archived