I think my nephews are going to be linemen in the NFL someday...

Crescent Seven

• Members

Nope. I got my state Championship ring in High School, and that turned out to be enough for me. I did go talk to the coaches at Virginia Tech when I got there, but when I told them I was a defensive lineman, they told me that they'd turn me into an offensive lineman (which I had also played in HS).

Now, when I lived in Charlotte, we lived just a few houses down from the right guard for the Panthers. He had just retired from the NFL at 35 years old, and he had so many leg and knee problems that he couldn't take his children (4 and 2 years old) for a walk. I didn't want that for my life.

You most likely made the smart choice.

I have a friend who started Division I-A offensive line for four years in college. He's now 33, and has the knees and back of an 80 year old. Ruptured disks, arthritis, etc. He's in a lot of pain all the time.

I can't watch a college or pro game anymore without thinking of how most of those men are leaving their health out there on the field.

• Members

You most likely made the smart choice.

I have a friend who started Division I-A offensive line for four years in college. He's now 33, and has the knees and back of an 80 year old. Ruptured disks, arthritis, etc. He's in a lot of pain all the time.

I can't watch a college or pro game anymore without thinking of how most of those men are leaving their health out there on the field.

It's a trade-off that alot of people are willing to accept, but they definitely earn their money.

C7

Archived