Sansamp PSA as a bass preamp?

beerxsucks

• Members

How logical would this be? I've heard of people tracking bass through these a lot, have only seen one person playing through one live(some terrible, terrible bar cover band). Can you get the same dirty tones you can get with an RBI out of it? I'm just trying to make my rack setup both guitar and bass friendly... Sorry for the n00b-esque question. I tried searching a lot, but I think its so n00b that no one needed to ask it before haha. Thanks in advance.

• Members

How logical would this be? I've heard of people tracking bass through these a lot, have only seen one person playing through one live(some terrible, terrible bar cover band). Can you get the same dirty tones you can get with an RBI out of it? I'm just trying to make my rack setup both guitar and bass friendly... Sorry for the n00b-esque question. I tried searching a lot, but I think its so n00b that no one needed to ask it before haha. Thanks in advance.

I doubt too many here have direct experience with this unit for bass - try the HC reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Tech_21/SansAmp_PSA_1_Preamp-01.html

Rex Brown of Pantera, Byron Stroud of Fear Factory, Oliver Riedel of Rammstein, Tony Campos of Static-X, Adam Duce of Machine Head, Paulo Pinto of Sepultura; all of them use this unit to get fantastic bass distortion. I loved all their sounds and I got a unit that can create what they have. This unit is best for distorted sounds (my opinion). The unit can do clean sounds, but I prefer my Aguilar DB 680 preamp over that idea though. The Distortion off this unit is excellent, and NOTHING on the market even comes close to this unit.

• Members

I played through it once (admittedly a while ago), through a Henry the 8x8. Got some very nice tones through it. The Ampeg-like patch sounded more 'pegish than the B2R does to my ears. The guy who owned the rig had a patch set up with a nasty fuzz tone that sounded really good for bass, IMO. Never tried the RBI, but after playing the PSA-1, I really wanted to buy one and use it for guitar and bass. However, that didn't happen.

Dustin

• Members

I owned one for a while. I liked the totally clean presets, but the slightly distorted ones seemed to be missing something. The over the top ones sounded sort of good, but with way too much distortion to be usable. On guitar, the crazy scooped presets sounded good if you like that sort of thing, the cleans sounded great, but the bluesy slightly broken up ones again sounded a bit stale. Overall, I really liked it though. For the 3 days I had it before it went crazy and got stuck on one horrible sounding setting. I could get it to change, but eventually it would go back to it on its own. It was used, might have been mistreated but cosmetically it looked perfect. I'd want a warranty on it if I bought another one.

• Members

I used the PSA-1 as a bass pre-amp and the sound was fairly decent for the clean presets. On the other hand, the distortion tones and the clean tones seemed to be missing something. I am not sure how to exactly describe it, but everything coming out of this unit just sounded boring and plain.

I think you are better off getting an actual tube amp and blasting away on that. The PSA-1 seems to be missing that lively tube growl/punch no matter how you set it. For guitar tones, I have not had too much experience with it.

• Members

The PSA and GT2 are better preamps for bass guitar than the BDDI.

Something about the voicing on them just seems to suit bass geetar better.

It would make an excellent bass AND guitar pre, if you coupled it with a para or graphic eq in your rack.:thu:

Archived