DiMarzio P/J set, anyone?

i_wanna_les_paul

• Members

Anyone here own/tried the DiMarzio DP 126 P/J pickup set? It's a Model P and a Model J. I've heard some solid things about them (and I like the fact that the J is a split-coil design) and I don't feel the need to put a lot of money into the bass they'd be used in. They seem to fit the bill.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Dustin

• Members

Dustin, I have that set in my p/j.

I have mixed emotions on them right now.

Compared to the stock SX pickups they have a lower mid bump and have a little less highs.

You kinda lose the Fender sound, but it sits really well in the mix @ rehearsal.

If you are looking to get the "P bass sound" you probably need single coils.

My brother's SD Curlee has 2 model P's that are wired with series/parallel switches and there are quite a few tone options. (model P and model J allow for series/parallel between pickup halves ie. pair under E & A and pair under D & G)

I haven't tried wiring mine this way yet, so I can't really give an opinion other than dinking around with my bro's bass and it seemed to be pretty cool.

Hope this helps a bit....

• Members

The only reason I haven't yet is that it's the "first bass." And while it's very nice, I can't get much money for it. Decisions, decisions...

My first bass was a Rogue SX4 or whatever their absolute CHEAPEST bass is. Needless to say, it's been gone for over a year. I'm SUPER glad it's gone actually. Pooey bass. Haha. And I sold it for $20.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather have an SR5 than my "first" (or third or fourth basses.) But that's me.

My 2nd and my 5th basses though...no sir. Well...I sold the 2nd a while back and kinda wish i hadn't...and now I can't find one. Go figure.

Archived